Issues with the CSI cameras attached to the Xavier NX

Hi roey.bh

Beware! nVidia is “puffing” (marketing term for lying) when they say the raspberry pi cameras are supported.

It turns out you need to “tune” the camera to get it to work properly. nVidia will give you useless advice because you need deep knowledge on how to execute his elitist suggestions / help. He provides us with NO advice on how to tune the camera yourself and brushed off the problem by supplying the “binary file” in the post above. … Nice file with cute bytes but a waste of electrons without documentation on what to do with it.

Support from the camera manufacturer as suggested by nVidia is again useless advice, he clearly does not know what support exists for the “nVidia supported” raspberry pi camera. Support is NOT available from camera vendors supplying “genuine” raspberry pi cameras because they only support the raspberry pi which makes sense. What is worse, the “nvarguscamerasrc” drivers are all written by nVidia. There is no documentation I could find on how tune, modify or configure these. They do not seem to be actively supported by nVidia. So basically unless you use the Jetson Nano you are out of luck with Raspi cameras.

Bottom line, you need to spend another $100(us) or more and buy a proprietary camera from an nVidia partner to get the support that nVidia says we need. I bought one from India. It was $135 with shipping. I will post here once I get results. There is also one from ArduCam. Both of these cameras come with a dedicated circuit board to interface with the NX. I have no idea how compatible they will be, so time will tell.

You can try lighting the subject with a bright light it may help a bit.

2 Likes