JetPack 2.1 installation fails

I am trying to install JetPack L4T 2.1 on my x64 Ubuntu 14.04 machine for my new Jetson TX1 board. The installation fails trying to install GameWorks Samples. I have “Automatically resolve dependency conflicts” checked. The log complains about libstdc+±4.8-dev-armhf-cross has unmet dependencies. When I try apt-get -f install as suggested by the log, I get the following:

dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libstdc++6-armhf-cross_4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.1cross0.11.1_all.deb (–unpack):
trying to overwrite ‘/usr/share/gcc-4.8/python/libstdcxx/init.py’, which is also in package libstdc++6:amd64 4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.1
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libstdc++6-armhf-cross_4.8.4-2ubuntu1~14.04.1cross0.11.1_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

If I choose Custom and not to install GameWorks Samples, the installation subsequently fails trying to install CUDA Toolkit for Ubuntu 14.04. Checking that log reveals a bunch of ignored 404 errors and then the same problem as above.

I have previously installed CUDA 7.5 on this machine which has a Tesla C2050 GPU in it.

Any clues on how I can resolve the conflict above?

There is a bug report I found at: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gcc-4.8-armhf-cross/+bug/1557205

Following Ivan’s suggestion in there, I used

sudo apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="–force-overwrite" install -f

I then restarted the JetPack install and it seems to be working now.

similar issues with some suggestions you might try.

in particular, this comment might apply?
edit: with the additional info, the problem becomes much clearer. Obviously there is something wrong between dpkg-deb (a program, which is part of the debian package management used by apt-get) and tar (which is packing/unpacking files from/into single archives).

Now the dpkg-deb is calling tar with an unsopported option, so somehow there is a version mismatch between those programs

Thank you! I had the same problem and this solution worked for me.

One small problem I faced before this in GameWorks installation was that the g+±arm-gnueabihf was not being found but updating my fresh linux installation solved that. Just posting so other newbies having this problem can do this step too.