JetPack v3.2
Jetson TX2

I had no issues what-so-ever.

Installing Jetpack on TX2 using VirtualBox using Centos 7 as HOST PC

I had USB Device access problems.

I was able to get this to work.
The tricky bits were

a) Need the virtual box extensions
b) User needs to be in the vboxusers group (or it won’t be able to see USB devices)

So roughly

1. Install Virtual Box
  2. Install Virtual Box Extensions
  3. Add yourself to vboxusers group (in /etc/group)
  4. Log out, log back in
  5. Check you are in vboxusers group with “id”
  6. Download Ubuntu 16.4 LTS Install ISO
  7. Connect TX2 and put it into recovery mode (So we can add usb) connect to network.
    use ‘lsusb’ to make sure the TX2 is connected. Use " VBoxManage list usbhost" on
    the host pc to make sure VirtualBox can acess the nvidia.
  8. Create virtual box vm, iso in cd, network to bridged, USB3 enabled,
  9. Add NVIDIA in list of USB Devices for the VM. If you don’t see any usb devices
    when you click the add icon to the right of the disk it’s a problem with step 2
    or 3.
  10. Start vm , run through install, reboot vm
  11. Verify that lsusb on the VM shows the NVIDIA device.
  12. Download and install jetpack.

It’s a little confusing in that both the HOST and the VM see the TX2 as
an attached usb drive and a network port, using the USB Gadget drivers.

If you have a serial port on the TX2 it will print out some diagnostics
when it’s in recovery mode and then the normal boot when it reboots
so you know it’s working.

Hope this helps someone.

Cary

Hello,

I noticed some people may still be having issues when it comes time to flashing the Jetson TX2 because they cannot get the device to be listed through their guest virtual machine when running “$lsusb” in a shell.

I was receiving the general error message when trying to connect my Jetson TX2 through USB (Sorry I do not have the actual one):

Failed to attach the USB device 
USB device '' with UUID {} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

I followed the directions located in the following link https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=82639 to no avail.

I finally solved my problem when I stumbled upon this link https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/11251 where someone mentioned they figured it out after uninstalling USBPcap (it is installed as a part of Wireshark). Which I installed for reading network traffic from sensors.

It turns out that USBPcap and VirtualBox are incompatible (https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/16032) due to them both using similar methods in recording USB traffic. So I uninstalled USBPcap from my host OS (Windows 10) and rebooted, made sure my USB filter was properly setup through VirtualBox (Name:NVIDIA Corp. APX, Vendor ID:0955, Product ID:7c18), put the Jetson TX2 in USB Recovery Mode, booted up my guest OS (Ubuntu Xenial 16.04), proceeded to plug in the USB cable and wuala! It popped right up! You should also make sure your user account in the guest OS is a part of the vboxusers group by issueing the following command:

$sudo usermod -a -G vboxusers $USER

Then log out and back in.

I hope this helps others.

--------------------UPDATE----------------------------
I would like to report that even though I fixed the USB detection problem, I was still getting the following error during the flash procedure:

tegradevflash_v2 --iscpubl 
cannot open usb

I noticed that as soon as I started the flashing the TX2, the USB device was being disconnected (I discovered this after issueing $dmesg), which is why the flash procedure never completed. I was not sure how to solve this as others have reported success using VirtualBox with USB 3.0 settings, so I ditched it.

I solved all of my problems by installing WMware Player 12 and then setting up the guest OS (Ubuntu 14.04) as usual. I used USB 3.0 settings and it all worked like a charm!

Version Information:
Host OS: Windows 10 v1703
Guest OS: Ubuntu Trusty Tahr x64 (v14.04)
WMware Player: 12

Cheers!

-Qrev

Hi,

just followed the exact steps from the first post of this thread. Still works perfectly fine!

Host OS: Mac OS Mojave
VMBox5.2.20
Virtual image of Linux 16.04 (allocated 40GB of virtual disk space because 20, the default, was not enough)
Jetpack3.3
Jetson TX2

In order to get the IP address of the Jetson, I connected it to a monitor once the OS was flashed successfully and checked the IP from the network settings.

Thank you for posting this helpful guide!

I would like to add to this post since it is old, but still helped me.

Specs:
windows 10
VM = virtualbox
ubuntu 18.04
TX2
jet-pack 4.3
sdkmanager = 1.0.0-5517
offline install

That being said, I had usb connection verified through lsusb and usb-devices. TX2 was in recovery mode, Virtualbox I had on USB 3.0 setting, and also using usb filter in virtualbox usb settings.

I was still not getting the correct connection to the TX2 to allow for flashing and sdk manager would fail.

Changed the setting to USB2.0 as per this forum. I also rebooted the TX2 and put in recovery before I restarted the VM. This fixed the issue!! Thanks so much to this forum that is still helping over two years later.

Good Luck to all!

Hi,

I have the same specifications as you but mine did not work.

I got this error “No such file or directory” when I ran this command “$ JetPack-L4T-4.3-linux-x64.run”

Please advise on what I should do and how did you change your USB settings?

I did mine through the sdk manager. I also had to revert to VM ware to install – something is wrong with the Virtual box install. Mainly I did not line command this install it was done through their manager. I listed the version number in my last message.

I have the same version of the SDK manager. I am trying to use the SDK manager to flash the tx2 but my USB was not detected. How did you install yours?

I have the same version of the SDK manager. I am trying to use the SDK manager to flash the tx2 but my USB was not detected. How did you install yours?

With VM ware you can go to the top, select the drop down menu “player” and select “removable devices” I believe. Then connect it. It will say NVidia something. After flash and before the rest is downloaded you will need to connect it again because its name changes after flashing.