Jetpack 4.2 Wayland Bug

I switched from Xorg to Wayland for my gnome shell following the steps found here:

[url]Enable Wayland on TX2 with Jetpack 4.2 - Jetson TX2 - NVIDIA Developer Forums

This works, but locking the screen or turning the monitor off and on leads to a black screen unresponsive to keyboard and mouse input. I have to reboot if I want to get back to the desktop. Is this a known bug, or at least one that other people are experiencing? Looking for a solution since I can’t really afford this behavior.

Thanks

Hi,

I think it is not wayland related bug because even x based window system hit this issue too. We are investigating it.

Hi dylan.george,

Are you connected any debug board?
Please try to remove them and check issue exist or not. Thanks!

I am not connected to any debug board, but when the issue does happen (only with Wayland for me) I can still access the serial console and log in through putty on another computer ([url]https://www.jetsonhacks.com/2017/03/24/serial-console-nvidia-jetson-tx2/[/url]). This leads me to believe that it is related to the gnome shell in particular.

When I go to lock the screen, I see the animation for the lock screen image scrolling from the top to the bottom of the screen and once it hits the bottom the screen goes black. It seems like gnome encounters some issue when trying to display the screensaver.

Glad to hear I’m not the only one seeing the issue.

Hi dylan.george,

We will investigate issue and update to you.

Hi dylan.george,

This issue would be fixed in future release.

Is there any workaround that I can do while waiting for the future release? Not sure the release will come out before my product needs to be done.

Thanks

Currently, NO, and the next release was scheduled to be published before the end of this year.

Thanks

This post is resolved since it is a known bug that will be fixed in a future release.

Switching to the Weston compositor instead of Gnome fixed this problem for me, at the cost of losing the Gnome desktop shell ( which is unneeded in my instance ).

Starting the Weston compositor as a desktop shell:

1. Open a virtual console ( e.g. Ctrl + Alt + f3 ) and log in
  2. If starting from boot, stop the gdm3 service. Weston will crash if it is running.
sudo service gdm3 stop
  1. Set up and start weston
mkdir /tmp/xdg
chmod 700 /tmp/xdg
export XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=/tmp/xdg
sudo -E weston