JetPack 4.3: MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast while in xrdp session

Let me try to summarize:

There are two problems floating around in this thread: The first one is xrdp not working in Jetson Nano JetPack 4.4 - only in JetPack 4.3 while it is not upgraded at all. The other is mesa-utils not working in 4.4 when not working from the main console. The problems exhibit the same error message (in case of mesa-utils directly on the command line, in case of failing xrdp in syslog):

libGL error: MESA-LOADER: failed to open swrast (search paths /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/dri:$${ORIGIN}/dri:/usr/lib/dri)

Since the error messages appear to be the same, there is a non-zero possibility that those two problems are manifestations of the same root problem, but there is no proof of that.

Since IMHO the xrdp problem is the more severe problem because the Jetson Nano is typically run headlessly, let me focus on that. The problem is there regardless of whether a monitor is plugged into the HDMI output of the Jetson Nano or not. When trying to log in from remote (while logged out from the main console if plugged in), the connection is terminated by the Jetson Nano right after the credentials are entered.

First, @WayneWWW’s suggestion to add a “screen” section in the xorg.conf makes no difference for me. Second, @raymonlo’s suggestion to replace a single library (libdrm_amdgpu.so.1.0.0) with the one from 4.3 also made no difference for me either. Lastly, there is a workaround proposed by @sorlando961, which is to hold all the libdrm libraries:

This works fine as far as it goes and xrdp works even when upgrading existing packages. However, when attempting to “unminimize” the installation (to install packages that were missing from the original distro), unminimize complains

E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages

which is because the held packages have unmet dependencies after an upgrade.

Hence, unfortunately, the workaround is not complete and leaves the system only partially functional.

Therefore, I am afraid, this still needs to get a real fix for the Jetson Nano to be fully functional, even though the urgency has been somewhat reduced by @sorlando961’s workaround.

Any ideas @WayneWWW???

Oh - and the mesa-utils work when logging into the Jetson Nano via xrdp or ssh -Y with the “held” libraries…