JetPack 4.5 SD-Card error

I’ve downloaded the TX2 rootfs associated with JetPack 4.5 using the SDKManager (/JetPack_4.5_Linux_JETSON_TX2/Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs).

I was able to use the flash.sh script to flash this image into the internal eMMC of my TX2; I had no problem doing the first time setup from eMMC.

When I attempt to copy this rootfs onto an external SD card (sudo cp -a /nvidia_downloads/JetPack_4.5_Linux_JETSON_TX2/Linux_for_Tegra/rootfs/* /media/ubuntu/my_sdcard/ && sync) and boot from that I receive the following error in the first time setup of the TX2 “Installation Failed: The installer encountered an unrecoverable error. A desktop session will now be run so that you may investigate the problem or try installing again.” Pressing ‘OK’ on this prompt does not bring up a desktop session.

Previously (on previous JetPack releases) I would expect that copying the root files system to the SD card would enable me to boot to an SD card, I have not seen this error before. I expect that my extlinux.conf is setup correctly to boot to SD Card.

Any ideas on what is going wrong here?

Hi,

I don’t quite understand your saying that "Previously (on previous JetPack releases) I would expect that copying the root files system to the SD card would enable me to boot to an SD card,"Because this was never happened on previous jetpack.

I mean just “copy the rootfs to sdcard” would not let you boot from sdcard. We have a method to boot rootfs from external storage. Please check below page.

https://elinux.org/Jetson/L4T/Boot_From_External_Device

Hi,

Sorry for the lack of detail in the question. I mean to say that I have achieved boot from SD card in previous versions of the JetPack.

I am not seeing a file named l4t-rootfs-uuid.txt in /JetPack_4.5_Linux_JETSON_TX2/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader however I have followed the rest of the instructions you provided and used the command “sudo ./flash.sh jetson-tx2 mmcblk1p1” in place of the ‘external’ argument as I am attempting to boot to a rootfs on mmcblk1p1.

I believe that the Tx2 is attempting to boot to this SD card however I am seeing the “Installation Failed:” message instead of the usual first time start up UI prompts.

Please use that instructions on that page. Create a file l4t-rootfs-uuid.txt by yourself.

The issue was still persisting after following the instructions exactly. I was able to delete and re-download the rootfs using the sdk and followed the steps once again and saw I was booting to SD Card as expected - I had no problems in the first time setup GUI using this re-downloaded rootfs.

Not sure exactly what was wrong with my original rootfs or my tx2 previously.

Thanks for your assistance.