Jetpack 5.02 boot from nvme

I have managed to get jetpack 5.02 to boot from nvme.
What is the meaning of warning Test Key being used and then having choosing boot option etc etc.

Why cant 5.02 boot normally like 5.01?
I was told after jetpack 4.6 we could update systerm over air. This has
not been the case in any of the upgrades since. WHY?
The instruction from jetpack 5.0.2 with Jetson linux 35.1 is now live did not work. Don’t asked me to replicate the problem as I have spent a number of days to get jetpack 5.02 to work from nvme.

I am extremely disappointed with these system upgrades the Xavier NX is a good machine but is let down with NVIDIA jet pack upgrades.

I am spending too time on trying to get a operating sytem to work and not being able to run my projects.
I would appriciate a reply to this post.
I will not be buying any new hardware until I’m convinced there is a stable oprating system !!!
P.S. I usded SDK manger to flash the NVME

There is no need to buy new hardware. Dump your uart log first so that we can see what is going on there.
It is common to dump boot log from uart otherwise you won’t know what is going on.

The software structure has lots of changes between jp4 and jp5. So what you saw in JP4 may be different from jp5.

1 Like

Thanks for reply :
Here is the log from serial port:

uart (90.2 KB)

Hello,

Sorry that you made same mistake again. I feel you didn’t dump the full length of each line in your log…
Could you please read your own log before you sharing it out?

Also, UEFI log is in silent mode, so you would need to enable UEFI debug log by rebuilding the UEFI binary again.

Or you can directly operate the UEFI interface to check whether your boot order is really nvme > emmc…

Apologise
I just cut and pasted into file . Only used minicom once !

Here is the capture file from serial port

minicom.txt (71.3 KB)

Hi,

Could you also share the result of “df -h”?

df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/nvme0n1p1 458G 98G 342G 23% /
none 3.4G 0 3.4G 0% /dev
tmpfs 3.4G 36K 3.4G 1% /dev/shm
tmpfs 685M 12M 674M 2% /run
tmpfs 5.0M 4.0K 5.0M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 3.4G 0 3.4G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/loop3 42M 42M 0 100% /snap/snapd/17032
/dev/loop0 141M 141M 0 100% /snap/chromium/2106
/dev/loop4 41M 41M 0 100% /snap/cheese/6
/dev/loop1 60M 60M 0 100% /snap/core20/1627
/dev/loop5 128K 128K 0 100% /snap/bare/5
/dev/loop2 331M 331M 0 100% /snap/gnome-3-38-2004/116
/dev/loop6 92M 92M 0 100% /snap/gtk-common-themes/1535
/dev/loop7 42M 42M 0 100% /snap/snapd/16782
tmpfs 685M 20K 685M 1% /run/user/124
tmpfs 685M 20K 685M 1% /run/user/1000

Hi @paulrrh

Sorry that what is the exact error or problem you want to ask here? I don’t feel your issue is related to nvme at all…

I read your comments again.

If this is the question you want to ask, then I am not sure why you are so worried or bothered by this log.

We changed the bootloader in jp5.0.2 and there would be a some log printed to your screen during boot.

What is the meaning of warning Test Key being used and then having choosing boot option etc etc.

“Warning Test key xxx” would be one of them. But the point here is this log should not make your board fail to boot. And actually I am not sure what is that “having choosing boot option etc etc.” you are talking about here.
If you indeed hit some boot issue before, then I think you may need to share the boot log when that error happened or elaborate more.

What you are sharing to me now seems not including any error log… I can see the device already booted from nvme drive.

Hi and thanks for your help.

Is it normal when booting to arrive with this screen?
00af98611169f1c8288991a1a3e37b5ed033a9a5_2_666x500
I have not seen any documetation.
If this is the case I don’t have a problem.
I would prefer to boot straight from the nvme
Also this screen allows you to configure to boot from SD card, can you have a different
jetpack version eg 4.5 on the sd card (I suspect not).
Cheers for your help

Hi,

1. It is normal to see some log printed here.

2. Also this screen allows you to configure to boot from SD card, can you have a different jetpack version eg 4.5 on the sd card (I suspect not).

Actually, you can only make jetpack5 image boot from this bootloader… Since jetpack5 has a lots of difference from jetapck4. The two systems may not compatible to each other.
What I want to say is, if you want to change the boot devcie from nvme to sdcard in this screen, then it is oaky. But the point is your sdcard needs to contain jp5 image but not jp4 image.

So rule here, in old jp4, you may not boot a image on external drive that installed with jp5…

Hi
I don’t understand point 1.
1.It is normal to see some log printed here.
Is the screen part of 5.02 boot ?
Sorry to be a pain !
I’ll have to buy some water wings as I seem to a little out of my depth.
Thanks once again

Yes, that screen. which includes a log from bootloader and NVIDIA logo is a normal behavior in jp5.0.2 boot…

The “log” I am talking about is the “Warning Test key xxx”.

1 Like

Hi

Thanks Very much for your reply.
As you have helped me from Jetpack 4.6 - Jetpack 5.02 and all the versions in between see you at Jetpack 5.03.
Cheers
Paul Humphreys

1 Like

Hi,

Thank you for all the input.

If that bootloader (from the printscreen above) comes with the latest JetPack vresions (5+), is there any way to get rid of it?
It adds 20-30s to the boot time and in my case, I don’t see a need for it.

Or, the only way to skip that bootloader is to go back to an older version of JetPack (e.g. 4.6)?

Cheers,

JETPACK 5.01 did not have this Screen. I was running it ok from nvme drive.
It does’nt bother me an extra few seconds to boot up. If you want to try 5.01 put it on sd card and use the above screen to boot from sd card and give it a try.

I would say you could try to customize the UEFI binary and minimize the boot time …
Currently, there is no “easy” way to make your boot time less.

Also, I won’t say someone can “skip a bootloader” because you need bootloader to boot your device…

The only difference is jetson is using cboot as bootloader in jp4.x and using UEFI in jp5… UEFI is a common one in use so JP5 moves to UEFI.

Thank you @paulrrh and @WayneWWW for the quick replies, they were super useful. I believe things are more clear for me now.

• We need a bootloader to boot the device
  • before JetPack 5.02 cboot is the used bootloader; with JetPack 5.02+ UEFI is the used bootloader
  • in JetPack 5.01 we don’t have the screen to configure boot options

I did a few flashes and the boot time difference between 5.0.2 and 5.0.1 is super short (1-3 seconds). Which means that the screen in question is not adding extra time, it just looks like it, as it’s visible.

I wasn’t able to successfully install 4.6.2 to test that one as well, though being restricted to an older version only for this reason is not worth it for me.

Your understanding is still not correct.

Even jp5.0.1 is using UEFI… That was why I said “UEFI in JP5”… Every jetpack5 release is using UEFI now.

1 Like

Okay, thank you for the clarification.