Jetson-inference training

Hello,

I am trying to training with a PC using pytorch-ssd , and using model is MobileNet V2 Lite.
The desired labels are person, car and helipad.(total 3 classes)
I tried training using custom data, but the results are not good.

Looking at the model, there are car and person classes, which have quite high APs.
How to train a pre-trained model by adding one label(helipad) without deleting the existing classifier?
The training methods jetson-inference and pytorch-ssd are transfer learning.

However, I would like to do further training while retaining the training memory of the original model.
How can an train new content(helipad) while retaining previously learned content? (The Stability-Plasticity Dilemma)

I ask for your advice.

Thank You:)

Hi @3629701, although there may exist research on the topic, I haven’t tested this with pytorch-ssd, and if you add a new object class I would recommend re-training the model over your entire dataset. If you have a previous model, it may help to load that as the pretrained model to start with.

Your helipad class that has a lower mAP - how much training data do you have for that in relation to the other classes? If your dataset is inbalanced, you may want to collect/add more instances of that class to your dataset.

So, I tried training.
The datasets are 245 helipad, 200 Person+helipad, 200 Person, 360 Vehicle, for a total of 1000. (labels = helipad, Person, Vehicle)
Here is the result. (epoch 100, loss 1.19xx )
The images were not used for training.

It has accuarcy is high and it seems to detect relatively well.
But, there is also a false positives. Need to more datasets?

I checked annotations, doesn’t seem to be wrong.
I think I need to reduce the loss value, Any tips for training?

Thank you:)

Hi @3629701, your results look promising, good job! Yes, I would continue adding more data to your dataset. For a robust detector, you will want practically as much data as you can. Your loss seems okay, although you can continue training for more epochs to see if that helps.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.