Jetson Nano B01, no graphical environment

Hi

Can we clarify what you’ve done so far? There are some weird parts in your comment.
I guess you have different “headless mode” idea with mine.

1. “headless mode” in jetson means there is no monitor connected. So it is weird to say you want to see that graphical environment (desktop from 11 min of the video) even in headless mode. I mean, if there is no monitor, then where do you expect to see a desktop showing up?

2. How did you configure the user account as the video shows around 9 mins timestamp under “headless mode”? We have a method to do this in headless mode, but I am not sure if you really use that method.
    Also, configuring user account is a must-have step. Without this step, jetson will not let you enter the system. Which means not possible to dump log from console, not able to access system file no matter remote or directly through usb keyboard. But sounds like you are already able to do that since you dumped logs for me.

I’ll get back to you later today. This is all new to me so I’ll have to have a think .

I don’t think my first question here requires a think. This is just a simple one that I cannot understand where did you expect to see a “graphical environment” when you don’t want to connect a monitor.

In answer to your queries:

1. I understand what you are saying about the monitor and now understand that the graphical environment won’t appear on my Laptop. This is just beginner’s ignorance on my part.

What I am going to try is to set-up one of my B01s from scratch with the HDMI monitor and USB keyboard adn mouse attached. I’ll let you know later today how it worked out.

1. I had a look at the 9 minutes mark in the video and all I could see was the cables being plugged into the Jetson Nano. In any case, I followed all the of the instruction during headless set-up so I think that I am ok.

In my beginner’s ignorance, I was expecting that the graphical environment would appear on my host laptop.

I tried the set-up from scratch with one of my B01s connected to my HDMI monitor USB keyboard and mouse. The monitor still says that there is no input.

I will carry on figuring out the scp permissions. I’m out for the rest of today so you might not get the Xorg,0,log file until tomorrow.

Thank you for your on-going assistance.

What kind of scp permission is that?

scp user and password are just same as how you ssh to the jetson.

1 Like

Thank you for all your kind assistance. I’m still working on getting scp to work so that I can send you the Xorg.0.log file. That is not a Jetson Nano question so I will sort it out myself. There is lots of information on the Internet that I am working through.

The only remaining question is getting the lack of HDMI output sorted. This weekend I’ll install Ubuntu 18.04.6 over 20.04 so I can use the SDK Manager to install from scratch. I’ll let you know what happens.

Just want to let you know that… my purpose to ask you to check Xorg.0.log is to find out why the HDMI is not able to show the desktop. This seems happened to only some users so I would like to find out the reason.

It has highly chance this issue would be gone after you install with sdkmanager. If you can see the desktop after that, you don’t need to share me the Xorg.0.log anymore. But it also means I lose the chance to find out why there is such HDMI issue.

I’ll help you out and not load Ubuntu 18.04.6/SDK Manager until I get you the log file.

I’m still working on transferring the log file. I’ve unsuccessfully tried doing an ssh from my Jetson Nano to my laptop…it looks like the problem has something to do with authentication keys but that’s just a guess. I’ll get it sorted out.

Is your host a ubuntu machine or windows one?

Ubuntu 20.04 but I also have a Windows 10 laptop if that helps. BTW, I have ordered an HDMI monitor advertised as compatible with the Jetsin Nano. It is scheduled for arrival on Tuesday.

If you hit any error in ubuntu ssh, please paste the error, maybe I can help.

Ok, thanks. That’s really going out of your way to help.

Xorg_0_log.docx (12.9 KB)
Here is the Xorg.0.log file that I have converted to *.docs format and renamed Xorg_0_log.

I will wait to hear from you before I overwrite Ubuntu 20.04 with Ubuntu 18.04.6 on my laptop so that I can try out SDK Mangager.

Hi,

Did you really connect a HDMI monitor before your dump this xorg.0.log? I still see the log say you don’t connect any monitor.

I only need to check the case that why there is no desktop even after you connect a monitor on it.

Oh, I see. No, I didn’t connect the HDMI monitor. That should have been the obvious to me. It’s another case of beginner’s ignorance. I’ll send a new file to you on Sunday.

I connected the HDMI monitor. The new Xorg.0.log file is attached.

When I receive my new HDMI monitor on Tuesday then I will send you another log file. Xorg_0_log.docx (10.7 KB)

Hi,

Could you also use command “dmesg >> kernel.log” on your jetson with HDMI connected and share me the log?

Your xorg log still says there is no monitor connected.

Please find requested file attached. kernel.log.docx (69.3 KB)

Looks like you do insert a HDMI monitor. But somehow it does not go to unblank status in the end.

Did you see a NVIDIA logo showing up on the screen during boot up?

And can you do dump a dmesg log again with hotplug case?

I mean you boot up the device without any monitor connected. After boot up for about 30 seconds, plug the HDMI cable and dump the dmesg.