Jetson Nano blank screen during and after boot

@jetsonnvidia , are these 2 logs from original sdcard?
Are you able to try hdmi too? I notice your monitor is DP one. Not sure if HDMI can work or not.

And do you remember what was your last jetpack version? I just notice you said “Oct 2019”. I guess that one was rel32.2.x, right?

Wayne, ctl-alt-f1 (and other function keys) does not get me a console

@WayneWWW I am using the latest Jetpack. There was a major update a few months ago I think. Lots of packages updated.

My long dmesg logs are both from my current system. The one I have been updating since 2019.

(I would love to know why the kernel version in the official release is more recent than my current system.)

I can try HDMI but I don’t see the point - we know that Displayport works in my current system as long as I use the virgin most recent SD image from Nvidia.

@WayneWWW yes HDMI works on my setup. This is really weird so your idea to use HDMI was useful after all. I see an LXDE login screen (a rat) which is weird as:

a) I thought I was using gdm3
b) I thought I had enabled auto-login

Hello @WayneWWW,

I have the usb keyboard now. After failing to boot again and after reflashing and installing OpenCV during night, I see that I can enter to console mode using ctrl +alt +f5. Just don`t know how to check syslog… my bad!!

How can I enter to my graphical desktop?

@WayneWWW I now have my Displayport working again.

I looked at a diff of the etc directories of the virgin image and my own image. There are many differences which should NOT be the case, so I can tell Nvidia is not comparing their latest virgin image to one that has been continually updated. :-(

Anyway, the problem was /etc/X11/xorg.conf had this line commented out:

# Driver "nvidia"

I did not do this. I have no idea how this became to be. It must have been a side effect of an update. Anyway, graphics are working at last. Yay.

Is there anyway to know when it will be safe to update? I ran into this problem after I was promoted to install updates.
I’ve been prompted again. But in the mean time I did get the “Getting started with AI on Jetson Nano” certificate! 😄

Cool that @jetsonnvidia has a solution to their issue.
On my 2GB Nano the xorg.conf has Driver “nvidia” uncommented, so it seems to be a different problem.

@fcomg_e,

I shared the syslog link in previous comments (/var/log/syslog). Is there any difficulty to make you unable to dump the log?

@stuart_marshall,

When you try “ctrl+atl + F1~F6” command, you have to make sure the monitor is not in power down state. In that state, you may see the backlight is on but blanked screen.

You can try below method to see if you can achieve that state.

cd /sys/class/graphics/fb
fb0/ fb1/ fbcon/ #fb0 fb1 may indicate different display, so you have to pick up the one your monitor is using.
root@nvidia:/sys/class/graphics/fb0# echo 0 > blank

after this step, dmesg shall give you the monitor is going to unblank.

Hi,

Our team has tried to reproduce this issue with the Nano-2gb we have.
However, after running “apt-get update/ upgrade” on our device, and reboot several times, we still can see display manager working.

Can anyone has a fresh setup (nano-2gb) and try to verify the steps?

Also, can anyone share their syslog or xorg.0.log when error happens?

Hi,

I have the same problem on my nano 2G. I have tried to re-Flash two times but the results were same. I have compared two logs ( before/ after problem) and I hope this will help solving this issue.
diff.txt (2.4 KB)

Hi @qgb00021,

Thanks for your kind comment. But can you tell us more about your issue?

You said “I have tried to re-Flash two times but the results were same”. What does that mean? Most of users here say their symptom is “desktop is gone after apt-get update/upgrade”. Do you also run apt-get update/upgrade?

so personally i got it back working again by switching to GDM3 instead

1 Like

@devinwang97, yes that sounds a reasonable workaround for this issue now.

I don’t see you shared any comment before. Do you also hit issue this issue after apt-get update/upgrade?

Yes. re-Flash worked fine. Then apt-get update/upgrade, resulted in black screen with blinking cursor.

1 Like

@qgb00021
Could you share me the xorg.0.log and syslog after this error happened? I need a full log too.

And actually, it would be better to diff l4t deb package list before and after update/upgrade.

sudo apt list -a

@WayneWWW, yes I commented it on #24
I have gone through multiple reflash as I first thought it was bad luck, followed by more attempt trying to diag and resolve the problem
The problem first arises after completing apt-get update&upgrade on my newly received and freshly flashed board, after 3 attempts I found out others are experiencing the same issue.
Since then I have tried completing restart with USB disconnected, apt-get update&dis-upgrade, or completing the entire process through headless mode, each with a fresh flash, but all failed attempts.
Now found the workaround of using GDM3 instead of lightdm, not a fix, but at least something.

1 Like

Sorry I have only Xorg.0.log before this probrem.beforeXorg.0.log (19.8 KB) afterXorg.0.log (19.0 KB)

Thanks.

According to the afterXorg.0.log, it looks like X was not enabled anymore.

If you run “startx” command remotely, will you see a window showing up on screen?