jetson nano not booting

It is an NVIDIA Jetson Nano 2GB Developer Kit
model: P3541

I am used the image file “jetson-nano-4gb-jp441-sd-card-image”

I followed the instructions for flashing sd card for Windows systems from https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/learn/get-started-jetson-nano-devkit#write

I am using a Kingston CANVAS Select Plus 32 GB UHS-1 sd card

I have tried to run this on multiple HDMI monitors using multiple HDMI cables, but no success yet.

I have also tried multiple power sources with no success.

are you able to tell from the log if this failure to start is due to power issues or something else?

Your module is 2GB nano but the image file name shows 4gb.
It means you are using the wrong image file.

I am used the image file “jetson-nano-4gb-jp441-sd-card-image”

For all those who have had problems with the board receiving the correct voltage and amps and just turn on the green led without starting, here what has worked for me:

After having 3 Jetson Nano 4GB, almost returning 2 of them and the third with exactly the same problem, I realized that maybe I was doing something wrong (obviously).
I took a microSD card and formatted it in fat32 WITHOUT USING THE SD Card Formatter TOOL. Then with BalenaEtcher, I installed in the SD the latest version of the jetson nano 4GB image. I put it on the board and voila!

Then, I tried to format also, in the same way, another 2 microSD. Since Windows doesn’t recognize the cards that had been flashed before, I did it using Ubuntu. Well, in the end, the three Jetson work perfectly and I’m going to keep all three.

In conclusion:
When the problem with the Jetson is that, having the correct power function, with the green led on and no video; then the problem is the format of the microSD. This must be FAT32 (not exFAT!!).

Finally, I think that the SD Card Formatter tool does not work well for these purposes. I used, in windows, “FAT32 Format” ( name of app, just a random one that I found on internet) , but surely there are many other applications for this.

1 Like

Was working nice. For the first couple days now. Just hangs after boot

Was even running detectnet locally. Now shows this boot log and than hangs up at the login.

Is the sdcard corrupted? if so is there an image for nano 2gb with the all files needed to run jetson-inference including detectnet. Not looking forward to spending more time dev environment just to run the sample ai application. An image with it ready go would be amazing. The sd card was brand new 32gb. 🤷

Really wished nano 2gb came with the usb power supply. lots of problems with just finding a good one as the nano needs 5.2 to ensure high resistance cables dont hang it up. Also the 4amp is super rare to find in this size in North America. Please suggest Amazon prime option you recommend. thx

1 Like

I used MacBook Pro power supply which can source 5V 3A easily. No issues. You might want to use a 64GB High Endurance microSD as that’s the recommended.

re did the image. i am thinking its 2gb constantly using swap to read and write?

can someone build a image with the jetpack alrea installed from source? would be very helpful.

Why do you think it’s constantly using swap? What is the RAM usage? I was able to run the Deepstream configuration with 8 streams which filled the entire 2GB RAM. I also want to check how often it was using swap in that usecase which might be impacting performance.

@vkapoor. thats is super cool. iwas just getting warning memory running low. ill get the exact warning msg next time i see it

can u please share the the github / instructions for that . I was just running the hello world ai detectnet. I was getting 15-8fps while dusty was getting 23fps

what is your fps?
where you running the 8 streams headless or also displaying them on the nanon hdmi out?

also 8 streams using local usb webcams? did you have to use a powered hub? if so please share a link to good one to use.

I installed deepstream 5.0 and ran 8 stream example for Nano. It didn’t work over VNC so I tried it over direct HDMI connection where it worked. Its just reading a 1080p video from a file for all the 8 streams. I was getting 25-28 fps. I haven’t tried with a WebCam or IP camera yet. I am sure you would need a powered USB 3.0 hub for webcams. I have one from Pluggable but it only supports 6 ports.

@vkapoor nice is there instructions on how to get this running? please chare the link? So you tried this with 2gb nano already? I am getting memory warning just from running the Nvidia supplied hello ai detectnet demo.

Also do you know how one can built a new image with some of the nvidia demo pre build and ready to run. I keep getting image issues and is taking up a lot of time to get it back to that stage.

I just followed the nVidia instructions to install deepstream and ran the nano example with 8 streams. I did get a low memory warning but it worked when connected directly to HDMI monitor. It didn’t work over VNC.

Hi!
Everything was fine.
Recently I updated packages via apt.
After the reboot, it became like you.
Xorg does not start. This may not be a problem with the power supply. This is some kind of software problem.

Nvidia you must help.

@newcgen Jetson Nano blank screen during and after boot - #98 by shreyasbyndoor

please try ctrl-alt-f2 after the screen goes black. it should work

I just recently had this problem, and I discovered that I was following the setup guide to the 4GB Jetson as opposed to the 2GB(which is what I had). Because of this, I got the wrong image and the board was stuck at the NVIDIA logo.

I make all this test too. Nothing. I reflash the SD card with SDKmanager in force mode. Everything it’s ok now.

Make sure you didn’t make a bonehead mistake like I did: (downloaded and flashed the 4GB Nano image when I have a 2GB Nano) You will get the Nvidia logo screen forever

1 Like

Hi…I have installed opencv 4.4.0 successfully, by referring GitHub - mdegans/nano_build_opencv: Build OpenCV on Nvidia Jetson Nano in jetson nano. After a day, jetson is not booting up. And I am sure that no issues in Power supply. Green led remains on in jetson board. But there is no display in monitor

I met this problem once before. I formatted SD card and flashed image file again. Then jetson booted up. Please help me to solve this issue…

Some suggestion for people who think they hit similar case here…

I think there are actually multiple behaviors in this topics and not every case is truly “not booting up”.

For example, I see the first comment has a video which shows the stuck in NVIDIA Logo and then display is off. Such case means the boot process may not able to enter the kernel. And it is also possible that kernel does not support this monitor.

Also, some users reporting their monitor stuck in some console log with log printed. Such case is even hard to debug because it is not “fail to boot”. It probably just “GUI desktop fails to launch”. However, too much factors can cause this problem.

Then, back to what I really want to say…

Since this thread has been opened for almost 2 years, people who joined recently may not actually use the same software/ jetpack version as previous users. Thus, please file a new topic for your issue.

Also, we strongly suggest you have to dump the uart log for “not booting” error. Below page provides the method for how to dump the uart log.

https://elinux.org/Jetson/General_debug

To be honest, it is really hard to tell what the actual error you are hitting without any log. And it is also hard to tell what is the error if you ask question in this topic, because there are too many kinds.

Okk…Thanks @WayneWWW