Jetson Nano not booting

Burned 16GB Sandisk SD with iso and inserted the Nano board.

Connected Nano with to working display with HDMI cable, mouse with USB and keyboard with USB cable.

Connected 5V 2.5A power with USB mini, green power light on.

Result - voltage out from display but no boot message from the Jetson Nano card.

:::Details::::

Image download: https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/dlc/jetson-nano-dev-kit-sd-card-image

Initialize 16GB SD mini

sudo diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk2 1 GPT “Free Space” “%noformat%” 100%

Started partitioning on disk2
Unmounting disk
Creating the partition map
Waiting for partitions to activate
Finished partitioning on disk2
/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):
#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
0: GUID_partition_scheme *15.9 GB disk2
1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1

Build disk image

/usr/bin/unzip -p ~/Downloads/jetson-nano-sd-r32.1-2019-03-18.zip|sudo /bin/dd of=/dev/rdisk2 bs=1m

0+196608 records in
0+196608 records out
12884901888 bytes transferred in 936.026336 secs (13765534 bytes/sec)

The issue is you’re writing to a partition and not the device itself. Using dd has a risk of overwriting important things like the / partition easily. Rather than using dd, if you have gnome-disks installed (on Ubuntu, it is by default iirc), I would recommend just using that:

From the Gnome desktop:

1. hit super key (Windows), then type disks.

2. Then click the microsd card you want to restore to visually (no overwriting /), click the hamburger in the top right, and “Restore disk image”.

3. Select the unzipped .img file (from .zip may work but I have never tested it, it may just write the zipfile dirctly to the drive which will not work).

4. You’ll be promted for a superuser password and it will start writing the image.

Balena Etcher for linux also works.

In response, I am using MAC OS with bash kernel to build the SD image.
Initially, I used the recommended scripts for command line loading the image to SD, referring to code in my initial comment.

The Ubutu solution referred too, I believe recommends using dd to write the .img without the piped in unzip used in the jetson nano developer instructions.

I did load the image with dd directly to the SD but got the same no boot result, below is the code.

Here are the additional steps I took:

Reinitialized the disk

sudo diskutil partitionDisk /dev/disk2 1 GPT “Free Space” “%noformat%” 100%

Started partitioning on disk2

Unmounting disk

Creating the partition map

Waiting for partitions to activate

Finished partitioning on disk2

/dev/disk2 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *15.9 GB disk2

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk2s1

Built a new disk image without the unzip pipe and if image input

sudo /bin/dd if=~/Downloads/jetson-nano-sd-r32.1-2019-03-18.img of=/dev/rdisk2 bs=1m
12288+0 records in

12288+0 records out

12884901888 bytes transferred in 951.566737 secs (13540723 bytes/sec)

Ok. I’m not quite sure what you’re after, but if you want to flash on mac, I suggest using Etcher for mac. The “disk utility” preinstalled will probably flash a raw, unzipped .img file to an sdcard without a problem as well (I’ve used it in the past for that).

Please note that the last partition within the image expands to the full size of the drive on first boot, like on raspberry pi. If you want to build a system image from scratch, you need an Ubuntu machine.

Ubuntu running in a VM on mac would probably work, but I’ve never tested it and you’ll have to know how to set up all of that.

Please see the guide here. It’s comprehensive and tells you mostly all you need to know about rebuilding a system image. The rest you can ask for here.

Can I ask why you are trying to modify the partiiton table?

Is my Jetson nano defective?

Seriously, I am writing the nano image to an SD card on MAC OS.
I am using the setup instructions on the site, https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/learn/get-started-jetson-nano-devkit#write.

I just downloaded etcher wrote the image onto the SD card.

I powered up the Nano card, green LED on, with the SD card installed.

I only get a blank blue screen with no boot text. I have also used several HDMI cables and screens with the same result.

I also followed the command line instructions for the MAC OS with the same result, prior comments show my application.

I have included details on my procedures which follow the getting started link above.

As per prior NVIDIA comments, I am not using Ubuntu or raspberry PI, nor would I want to, these are oblique references for my objective to boot the Jetson Nano in the simplest of terms.

I had two similar problems:

1. SD card - the nano is slightly fussy about the sd cards. use only good quality ones, class 10 minimum. I have a kingston one I used on rpi that wouldn’t boot with similar symptoms

2. Try a different power supply if you have one. some of the 2.5A give less then 2A and the nano is not happy about it…

Did you jumper anything on the board?

I am using a C10 SanDisk 16GB microSDHC UHSI Card with Adapter, just opened for this application
Also the SD card is Full HD Video certified if that matters.

I have tried several power supplies.

No jumper on the board.

This is the simplest configuration possible as per the videos and images on the getting started page.

The nano still doesn’t boot.

I just opened the Jetson Nano box and sealed package prior to the attempts I have documented.

well, the only thing I can think of which is very improbable, is that your terminal is not on the hdmi input…
other then that… might be a lemon… I have no more ideas (other then maybe connecting serial terminal but this is a bit extreme)

My issue is that the power is on (I am powering it from the jack with a 5V 4A supply), but no HDMI output signal.

wolfkden,

Sorry for late reply. Have you resolved your issue?

Thank you for responding, I resolved the problem.

I needed to push the SD card fully into the spring loaded port.

Thank you very much for your support.