Jetson Nano Setup - Cannot Connect to Network

Hi,

So I’ve just flashed the Jetson Nano and have it powered through micro-USB from an outlet and connected the ethernet cable from my main computer to the device. I have also connected a USB to USB cable between the device and the computer.

I’m unsure how to go from here in order to set up the network on the Jetson. I’ve tried remoting into the device by using the following command

$ screen /dev/

but there is no ttyACM or ttyUSB available.

Could anybody help me out? The documentation isn’t that great and a lot of other people don’t have this setup. I’m unable to find a barrel jack power supply in my country.

Please try to dump the log from serial console and see if your board is really booting up.

https://elinux.org/Jetson/General_debug

Hi, I’m not exactly sure which instructions to follow. I’m very new to this and would like SPECIFIC instructions

I don’t have this cable… is there an alternative way to do this?

I just want to clarify that I have the device powered through micro-USB from power outlet.

Does the LED on the board light up when you connect the micro usb cable?

Yes it does

Then the micro usb cable is giving power. We need the serial console log to tell what is wrong.

Could you please tell me how to get this??? I don’t have the cable required.

You can google search for Adafruit USB to TTL Serial Cable and see if any vendor in your country can provide that.
There is no much I can help in this part…

I find it pointless to buy a new product and wait one week to find out that it doesn’t solve the issue at all.

How would you normally run the device and connect it to a network given my CONFIGURATION? That is all I want to know.

The device has booted properly in it’s linux system. Could I use any commands there to find the information you’re looking for?

Hello,

Ok. Let’s make it simple to understand.

1. There are multiple ways to check whether the board is booting up into system. The usb-ttl cable is the most reliable one. But you can also just connect a HDMI cable to your jetson. If the desktop is shown, then congratulation to you. You don’t need the usb-ttl cable.

2. If you already check (1), then the second question is what network interface do you want to use? The etherent? wifi?
    /dev/ttyACM0 or /dev/ttyUSB0 are not “network” interface, they are usb interface. /dev/ttyACM0 come along with the micro usb cable between your ubuntu host and nano and /dev/ttyUSB0 is the interface that requires usb-ttl cable.

(1) works fine with the HDMI cable.

I would like to use connect the nano to the network using ethernet (from host to nano). I’ve looked at many tutorials and they require me to screen into the nano from the host, but I can’t do that since there are no devices found e.g no ttyACM0 nor ttyUSB0.

What should I do? I have the male to male USB A cable connected between host and nano, how could I use this connection?

Hi,

When you said “from host to nano”, what interface are you using? You said ethernet so do you connect any ethernet cable on it?

Can’t you see any ip address on your host/jetson? If you have a ethernet cable on it, how is your connection going to? To a ethernet switch/hub or directly to the host?

If you want to use ethernet, then you should not use ttyACM0. ttyACM0 is for “usb” communication between host and nano. This is not ethernet.
What tutorial are you referring to?

1. When I refer to host from nano, here is what I mean…
  • Ethernet cable: From host to nano
  • USB A Male/Male cable: From host to nano

I am powering the nano via micro-USB from power outlet.

1. I cannot connect directly to an ethernet switch/hub because I’m using university wifi. Instead I am connecting straight to the host.

2. I’m using this tutorial, from 13:10 onwards. Most tutorials do not use the same cable configuration that I do.
    HEADLESS SETUP - Jetson Nano - YouTube

Hi,

If you directly connect ethernet cable from host to nano, and your host does not have dhcp server installed, then it will not assign IP to your jetson nano automatically.

And your micro usb does not connect to the host, right? In that tutorial, the interface he is using is the micro usb cable between host and nano. USB type A will not treat jetson into device mode. Thus, neither the network interface nor the ttyACM0 will appear.

1. How do I install a dhcp server to assign IP address to nano?

2. My micro USB does not connect to host because it is powered by supply. Is there a way to communicate between the two devices?

My biggest concern is I’m not sure what to do NEXT after booting the nano as I cannot connect to any network to install packages nor can I install them from the host.

A lot of your documentation suggest to use micro USB power supply and I have followed this. https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/learn/get-started-jetson-nano-devkit#