Jetson Nano video signal interruption

Hi, My Jetson Nano video/audio signal blanks out frequently. I am using an HDMI to connect to a TV. The signal goes out momentarily (i.e. screen is blank), for like a tenth of a second, and then is back(i.e. i see the screen again). And this happens randomly maybe every 10-20 seconds or so, which makes it hard to use the thing.

This is a recent thing, so it is possible an update has caused this. I’ve been using the same nano for over a year and don’t remember running anything more than ‘sudo apt update’ and ‘sudo apt upgrade’ every now and then. Either that or this is some weird hardware issue. I am using the barrel power supply, happens even when I am not running any programs at all and all ports are unplugged other than power.

How do I debug this? Here’s some version info: # R32 (release), REVISION: 1.0, GCID: 14531094, BOARD: t210ref, EABI: aarch64, DATE: Wed Mar 13 07:46:13 UTC 2019

I probably can’t help, but some information will help whoever does try to debug this.

You will have an Xorg log of interest. If you are at a terminal inside of the GUI, and run command “echo $DISPLAY”, then it will probably say “:0”, or maybe “:1”. The log file “/var/log/Xorg.0.log” is the log if DISPLAY is “:0”, and “/var/log/Xorg.1.log” is the correct file if DISPLAY is “:1”. You can ignore the “.old” versions. Before the error occurs try to:
cp /var/log/Xorg.0.log Xorg_log.txt

This is for a base “never failed” log. Then, probably via ssh so this is not dependent upon the GUI, run “tail -f /var/log/Xorg.0.log”. Whenever the issue hits you should see new logging. Mouse copy and paste this to save and post (doing this via ssh from a host PC means the text will be there even if the GUI fails).

In a similar way, using a second ssh login, run “dmesg --follow”, and when the issue hits, copy the change for posting.

In theory the changes will be repeating, and thus you won’t be particularly rushed, except for getting the reference “/var/log/Xorg.0.log” before the issue hits. That information should make it easier for whoever does work on the issue.

EDIT: Forgot, you can also add the result of this (this should be ok to get at any time so long as the HDMI is connected, there is no rush and it won’t matter if this is obtained before, during, or after any error):

sudo -s
egrep -i -H '.*' `find /sys -name edid`
exit
2 Likes

Looks like there is no update on your device at all. rel-32.1 is a version from last year which is kind of old.

I would suggest you could upgrade to rel-32.4.3 first.
Even if we really find a bug on rel-32.1, I would still ask you to upgrade to rel-32.4.3 and see if it gets resolved.

@WayneWWW Is there a way to do this without having to re-flash the card or reinstall apps? I have been routinely doing sudo apt update/upgrade. Thank you.

@linuxdev I will try to collect the suggested info.

Hi,

Unfortunately, the OTA update starts after rel-32.3. rel-32.1 does not have OTA update method.

You may need to clone your device first.

Thanks. I went ahead and updated the jetson. That did not resolve the issues,

However, adding a fan helped. What helped further is just using gstreamer from commandline rather than any gui based player. So this seems to be an issue of overheating when other players use a lot of resources. Running tegrastats while using totem vs gstreamer confirmed this. They both seem to use the decoding engine, but totem also uses substantial gr3d.

If it is overheating, then no software solution can help.

You may need to consider a thermal solution.