Jetson Nano vnc/headless connections

This connection only works over the same network for me. Is there a way in which I can connect to my Nano over different networks? e.g my laptop is connected to home wifi and the Nano to a phone hotspot wifi

Hi, is there any video showing how to do this?
I actually want to use Jetson Nano 4GB kit without external display… What should I try?
I wanna cast the display to a Windows OS

Please refer to Getting Started with Jetson Nano Developer Kit.

1. I set up JN-b01 for initial configuration using this link - Getting Started With Jetson Nano Developer Kit | NVIDIA Developer

2.Then I was trying to connect via VNC using this link - https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/learn/tutorials/vnc-setup

Now when I try to connect using VNCviewer in windows it says “connection is refused”.

Any one know what is the issue ?

I followed the instructions below (standard for Ubuntu installs) and VNC is working without HDMI connected on the Jetson Nano. The Nano is connected to the router via ethernet. These instructions also work for running virtual environments (e.g. EC2 on AWS).

Install and Configure VNC server on Ubuntu 18.04 (Jetson Nano) - Jinyao’s blog (jinyaozhu.github.io)

How to Install and Configure VNC on Ubuntu 18.04 | DigitalOcean

1 Like

This worked for me :

1. Installed official image - Jetpack on SD as per official on Jetson Nano B01.
  2. Connected via USB to Windows/Linux and did the initial setup.
  3. Updated the system and installed tightvncserver and xtightvncviewer
  4. Added these 3 lines in the file -~/.vnc/xstartup
    unset SESSION_MANAGER
    unset DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS
    startlxde &

It works but everytime I have to connect via usb and then start putty session and vncserver then am able to connect via ethernet IP in VNC viewer.

how to start tightvncserver in boot? I believe the line ‘startlxde’ should have done that but am not sure.

2 Likes

Just in case anyone else is struggling with this, I used this:

NoMachine for aarch64

@kaisar.khatak
While VNC can work with virtual X sessions without a Display or HDMI,
GL things typycally won’t work, unless either Display or emulator is plugged in.

@dd_jetson_21 See “Step 4 — Running VNC as a System Service” in the following document:

How to Install and Configure VNC on Ubuntu 18.04 | DigitalOcean 9

@Andrey1984 using “ssh -X username@nano_ip” will allow local display of remote opencv display operations:

username@Ubuntu-ThinkPadX1C:~$ ssh -X username@nano_local_ip
Welcome to Ubuntu 18.04.5 LTS (GNU/Linux 4.9.201-tegra aarch64)

To restore this content, you can run the ‘unminimize’ command.

Last login: Tue May 4 12:12:17 2021 from <machine_hostip>
Xlib: extension “NV-GLX” missing on display “localhost:10.0”.

(py36dl) username@nano:~$ echo $DISPLAY
localhost:10.0

Here is a gstreamer example to try remotely:
gst-launch-1.0 v4l2src device=/dev/video0 ! video/x-raw, format=YUY2 ! videoconvert ! xvimagesink

I would like know how to fully access my jetson nano developer kit while i am on another network ?

1 Like

Hi @kaisar.khatak

This worked for me on Nano 2GB, however, I had to connect my Ubuntu laptop with the Nano through USB to establish ssh connection between the computers. I need to control a robot remotely without USB, just over the WiFi network or any other means that won’t require connecting both computers via cable.

PS: The VNC server used WiFi network to share screen.

thumbs up for link 1.