Jetson Orin Developer kit not entring in Force Recovery Mode

I have just bought a new Jetson AGX Orin Developer Kit. During the process of setting it up using guide at get-started-jetson-agx-orin-devkit

I successfuly performed update and dist-upgrade but when I rebooted the system, the system never booted.

sudo apt update
sudo apt dist-upgrade
sudo reboot

Now I am following this https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/archives/r34.1/DeveloperGuide/text/IN/QuickStart.html#in-quickstart to flash a new operating software. My host is Raspberry Pi 4 with Ubuntu 22.10.

Running sudo ./flash.sh ${BOARD} mmcblk0p1 returns

###########################################
# L4T BSP Information:
# R34 , Revision: 1.0
###########################################
Error:  probing the target board failed.
            Make sure the target board is connected through
	    USB port and is in recovery mode.

Is there something that I am doing wrong?

PS:
How I try to setup the Force Recovery Mode

1. Plug in the power supply in Jetson AGX Orin Developer Kit in 4 (USB Type-C port)
  2. Power off using power button.
  3. Plug in the USB C in the USBC port next to 40-pin connector.
  4. Press and hold down the Force Recovery button.
  5. Press, then release the Power button
  6. Release the Force Recovery button.

In my host ubuntu terminal, using lsusb, I can see the follwing output:
Bus 001 Device 010: ID 0955:7023 Nvidia Corp. APX

Right link:
https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/archives/r34.1/DeveloperGuide/text/IN/QuickStart.html

Just to confirm, if the board is in recovery mode, the “lsusb” will show the device immediately after you release the recovery button. This behavior will not wait for a while.

Yes, I can see the device as Bus 001 Device 010: ID 0955:7023 Nvidia Corp. APX but the problem is when I run: sudo ./flash.sh ${BOARD} mmcblk0p1, it runs into following error that I am unable to figure out.

No, you didn’t get the point.

Using “lsusb” to tell whether this board is in recovery mode is not a 100% correct method. Because if your board boots into kernel, then you will see it in host “lsusb” too. But that one is not recovery mode.

Thus, I just want to double confirm, if you are really sure your board is in recovery mode.

There is no other way to confirm if I really get into the recovery mode as I can’t boot the system (Don’t know why).
Do you have any ideas how to confirm if the board is really in recovery mode?

Hi,

I notice some issues here

1. We don’t support ubuntu 22.04 and Raspberry pi 4. ARM64 host is not supported. You have to use x86_64 host.

My host is Raspberry Pi 4 with Ubuntu 22.10.

1. If you want to check the board status, you can use the micro usb port on your board and follow this page to dump log. Please be aware that you must use “micro usb port”, cannot use type C.

Okay, so I switched to Ubuntu 18.04 which is running on windows wsl.
Now, I ran into the following error:

sudo ./flash.sh jetson-agx-orin-devkit mmcblk0p1
###############################################################################
# L4T BSP Information:
# R34 , REVISION: 1.0
# Target Board Information:
# Name: jetson-agx-orin-devkit, Board Family: t186ref, SoC: Tegra 234,
# OpMode: production, Boot Authentication: NS,
# Disk encryption: disabled ,
copying emc_fuse_dev_params(/mnt/c/linux_data/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/t186ref/BCT/tegra234-br-bct-diag-boot.dts)... done.
copying device_config(/mnt/c/linux_data/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/t186ref/BCT/tegra234-mb1-bct-device-p3701-0000.dts)... done.
copying misc_config(/mnt/c/linux_data/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/t186ref/BCT/tegra234-mb1-bct-misc-p3701-0000.dts)... done.
./tegraflash.py --chip 0x23 --applet "/mnt/c/linux_data/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/mb1_t234_prod.bin" --skipuid --cfg readinfo_t234_min_prod.xml --dev_params tegra234-br-bct-diag-boot.dts --device_config tegra234-mb1-bct-device-p3701-0000.dts --misc_config tegra234-mb1-bct-misc-p3701-0000.dts --bins "mb2_applet applet_t234.bin" --cmd "dump eeprom cvm cvm.bin; dump custinfo custinfo_out.bin; reboot recovery"
Welcome to Tegra Flash
version 1.0.0
Type ? or help for help and q or quit to exit
Use ! to execute system commands

[   0.3172 ] tegrarcm_v2 --chip 0x23 --ismb2applet
[   0.3199 ] File rcm_state open failed
[   0.3240 ] ERROR: failed to read rcm_state
[   0.3240 ]
[   0.3455 ] tegrasign_v3.py --key None --getmode mode.txt
[   0.3473 ] Assuming zero filled SBK key
[   0.3343 ] Pre-processing config: tegra234-mb1-bct-device-p3701-0000.dts
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./tegraflash.py", line 1360, in <module>
    tegraflash_run_commands()
  File "./tegraflash.py", line 1208, in tegraflash_run_commands
    interpreter.onecmd(command)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/cmd.py", line 217, in onecmd
    return func(arg)
  File "./tegraflash.py", line 838, in do_dump
    self.chip_inst.tegraflash_dump(exports, args)
  File "/mnt/c/linux_data/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/tegraflash_impl_t234.py", line 2150, in tegraflash_dump
    self.tegraflash_preprocess_configs()
  File "/mnt/c/linux_data/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/tegraflash_impl_t234.py", line 292, in tegraflash_preprocess_configs
    values[config])
  File "/mnt/c/linux_data/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/tegraflash_impl_t234.py", line 2923, in run_cpp_tool
    run_command(command, False)
  File "/mnt/c/linux_data/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader/tegraflash_internal.py", line 215, in run_command
    process = subprocess.Popen(cmd, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, stderr=subprocess.STDOUT, shell=use_shell, env=cmd_environ)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py", line 729, in __init__
    restore_signals, start_new_session)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.6/subprocess.py", line 1364, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception_type(errno_num, err_msg, err_filename)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'cpp': 'cpp'
Reading board information failed.

sorry that VM is also not supported…

Would you please give me a hint which Ubuntu version do you support?

Ubuntu 20.04 and 18.04 can flash orin .

Alright, I will get back to you with the outcome tomorrow.
Thanks for your quick replies.
Regards,
Saqib

Note that WSL itself also won’t work. Dual boot with a native Ubuntu 20.04 is the best method. Some VMs can be made to work, but it isn’t officially supported. You’d have to figure out how to make sure USB passes through correctly even if USB disconnects and reconnects. WSL2, in addition to that, also lacks loopback support (someone on the forums once made this work, but adding loopback to WSL2 is apparently not trivial). A native install with an ext4 file system is by far the easiest thing to do.

So here is the thing:
I was able to flash my Jetson Orin with new OS.
The only thing that was important to use the 86_64 host as suggested by @WayneWWW

Thanks,

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.