Jetson Orin Nano Dev Kit won't boot. BIOS shows 0 MB RAM - No Ubuntu Host

Before anyone says use SDK_Manager, I don’t have access to an Ubuntu host. There’s none here. So that’s a no-go.

I’ve seen other with this problem. When I hooked up and turned on my new Jetson Orin Nano Dev Kit, it will only go into the setup screen and it shows 0MB RAM. I know there have been others that can reflash with the SDK_Manager tool. However, I don’t have access to an Ubuntu (or other Linux hosts). Do I have any options?

Thanks.

More info. I followed the instructions for getting the JetPack on the SDCard, (128MB). Both version 5.1.2 and 6.0DP acted the same. 0MB Ram. No boot

I think this is quite difficult to get past. Jetsons do not have a BIOS, so they cannot self-flash. Orin Nano dev kits do have the equivalent of BIOS in software in the QSPI memory for SD card models (which is what the Orin Nano Dev kit is; o/s is in the SD card the rest is in QSPI on the module itself). However, the only method available to update that QSPI content is in recovery mode.

Recovery mode itself temporarily turns the Jetson into a custom USB device. That device is understood only by the custom driver, and the custom driver is part of software which runs only on a Linux host PC (when you use command line you have a wider range of Linux PCs that will work; the use of JetPack/SDK Manager limits the host PC distribution to a couple of Ubuntu versions). So flashing the module itself is about the only way to update everything other than the SD card o/s itself, and this is where memory training and other boot steps occur.

You could post a full serial console boot log to show the problem, but it is pretty much a guarantee that you’d need to attempt to flash it (in recovery mode) before knowing if something is actually wrong with the Jetson hardware.

So it sounds like NVidia is selling dev kits that are unusable by people with only Windows/Mac boxes? You can’t flash the QSPI until you have an Ubuntu box. And it won’t boot without the updated QSPI. That seems dishonest at best.

I’m going to try to figure out a workaround.

UPDATE: Workaround found.

When the initial screen pops up while booting, hit “ESC” to get into the setup. Set up a RAM disk of some decent size. The system will then boot and run.

Hi tlkerer,

Could I get some more details on you workaround? Did you need to set up the RAM disk as Boot Service Data or Reserved? And what size did you need to used to get this to work?

Many thanks

I used hex x8000000 as the RAM disk size. I just used the create “Raw” option in the setup memory screen.

1 Like

Yeah, the Nvidia support guy told me to go buy a Linux machine since WSL2 was failing. Guess what, that didn’t work either, then he stopped responding all together. Great Nvidia support…

@salamander1 do you have a thread on the forum with your specific issue?