Jetson TK connect to CAN bus

I know that jetson tk1 hasn’t CAN bus by default, by there is a nice solution: MCP 2515 CAN bus realization through SPI.

Does anybody have experience with it?

Hi Fasteria,
Were you able to get CAN working with Jetson. I need to use it with Jetson, Arduino and multiple other sensors?

I’m also interested. I’ll leave my comment here for future reference.

I used Arduino CAN shield and got it working with a RoboteQ motorcontroller. The shield uses CAN-SPI. I am going to take help of that to implement CAN-SPI on Jetson.

Keep in mind, I believe the Jetson IO is 1.8V (correct me if I’m wrong). I’m not sure if it is 3.3V or 5V tolerant, but you will want to use a logic level shifter on the SPI MOSI/MISO/CLOCK/CS lines to the CAN controller.

I’m interested in getting CAN to work with this board and also have an arduino CAN shield that I’ve used in the past. Maybe we can share experiences here.

Maybe try a level-shifter like this:

I am using this level shifter: 4-channel I2C-safe Bi-directional Logic Level Converter [BSS138] : ID 757 : $3.95 : Adafruit Industries, Unique & fun DIY electronics and kits
and this is what I am trying to use for cAN to SPI. CANSPI Board - Serial CAN Interface with MCP2515 Transciever

I’ve never used that shifter, but if you have trouble with it you can always lower your SPI clock (assuming this is easy to do with the Jetson). Keep your wire lengths as short as possible from Jetson to this board (as with anything that is high-speed non differential).

The level-shifter I suggested could be an alternative if you suspect yours is not working.

yes I think I will have to lower the speed. I got this can-spi converter working with the arduino. I got the SPI setup on the Jetson. I hope this will give a good start to get it working on Jetson as well. Let me know if you made any progres. Thanks

Here is some effort on the CAN2SPI using the CAN SPI click 5V: [url]Page not found - TurluCode (NVIDIA Jetson TK1 – SPI to CAN Interface – mcp251x / mcp25625)

There are some issues but it is a start.

Locking thread, please create another thread if any further issues are found.