Jetson TK1 board fails to boot

Mixing “-k 6” with “-L bootloader/ardbeg/u-boot.bin” gives

for me. Is this right?

That should be ok. The “-k 6” will technically have no effect when using u-boot. My thought on this is that the boot loader may use a byte offset which is fixed, and so maybe eliminating the actual partition or altering the size of the 6th partition (fastboot’s location for kernel) could cause a boot problem. I have not looked at the u-boot code to see just how it finds the /boot directory.

I’ve got the board 4 days ago with L4T R19.2 and Ubuntu 14.04 already installed.
It just work as expected regarding booting and general Linux doing.
The label: Jetson TK1 600-7R375-0000-D00 E
S/N 0322314023952

I have exchanged the board with new one. The new one came with Ubuntu 14.04 already pre-installed and everything seems to work properly…

Any Suggestions? I am also stuck in same problem with R19.3 release. System hangs at “waiting for bootloader to initialize” when I execute flash script.

Which version were you trying to flash? R19.3? R21.1? What was the exact flash command you used? Was your host for the flash native linux, and not via some form of virtual o/s?

Any answer to this query?

The usual questions apply…which L4T version did you try to flash? Was your development host native Linux or running on a VM? Was all done as root (or sudo…even unpacking files)? Was the micro-B USB cable connected and Jetson started with the recovery mode button held down?

linuxdev,

Thanks for your reply.

1. I am using L4T version 21.1.0 release
  2. Development is done on native Linux host Ubuntu 12.04 LTS [64 bit version]
  3. All the packages extracted with sudo permissions.
  4. micro-B USB cable connection is proper
  5. I am able to list my board on PC using lsusb command. So, jetson board is in recovery mode

I am able to flash my software on Jetson TK1. But, we made a custom board with same specifications. And flashing software on this custom board is failing.

We ran some SDRAM test EMMC test using few nvidia tools available with us. Both tests are passing. But flashing the bootloader is failing.

Please can you guide us to move to next level?

Please find the failure Logs below.

RCM communication completed
BCT sent successfully
sending file: tegra124-jetson_tk1-pm375-000-c00-00.dtb

• 56791/56791 bytes sent
    tegra124-jetson_tk1-pm375-000-c00-00.dtb sent successfully
    odm data: 0x6009c000
    downloading bootloader – load address: 0x83d88000 entry point: 0x83d88000
    download command failed NvError 0x120002
    command failure/warning: bootloader download failed (bad data)

What is the nature of the customization…does it include anything related to boot loader, DTB files, or default kernel image? What is the flash command line used? Is hardware itself modified?

One thing I wonder about is that the R21.x does not send the system.img like it used to…it creates a “sparse” file based on rules…which means if something changed which the “sparse” rules do not understand it would fail. The boot loader itself I think it pads to a specific byte size, but I’m not sure on the details there…if you used a custom boot loader which exceeded some max size it might be an issue.

Dear linuxdev,

Thanks once again for the reply. Sorry for not providing all necessary info.

We have customized the hardware. In the sense, we prepared our own hardware, with NVDIA processor. Bott loader or software customizations are not required ideally, because we used the same configurations as JTK1 used. Including EMMC, SDRAM & other components we used same as per JTK1. So, we haven’t modified any software.

On this custom board we tried to flash the boot loader. Please find the commands listed below.

./flash.sh jetson-tk1 mmcblk1p1 [ expected to boot from SD card]

./nvflash --bct PM375_Hynix_2GB_H5TC4G63AFR_RDA_924MHz.cfg --setbct --configfile flash.cfg --create --bl fastboot.bin --odmdata 0x6009C000 --go

Appreciate your help

It’s really difficult to say just from this. It could either be an issue with SD card boot or with the flash program’s expectations of responses from Jetson.

Does this still have eMMC available in exactly the same configuration and manufacturer? Has the memory (either RAM or eMMC) changed in any way at all? Has the SD card slot changed?

Have you tried with R19.3? U-boot has some changes in R19.x versus R21.x for SD card and SATA boot…and the default in R21.x is u-boot but your script says fastboot.bin so the entire flash command would have to manually force fastboot under R21.x…only under R19.x could you use fastboot without explicitly setting this target.

Dear LinuxDev,

Yes default is u-boot in R21.1. But what we observed in fastboot loads first & then uboot loads. This is what happening on Jetsion TK1 also. But falshing is succesful on original board.

We have experimented with R19.3 also & observed the same issue.

EMMC is available on our custom board with exactly same configurations as Original JTK1. Also, we used the same RAM and RAM configurations.

The changes between R19.x versus R21.x can be ruled out as the cause, so at this point I’m out of suggestions. Since you are using fastboot I suspect you’re going to have to modify the fastboot source of a working install to actually tell you what board ID it finds. I’ve had some similar difficulties trying to adapt a JTAG debugger and did not get very far (it’s still on the TODO list).

Hi RKiran,

Is the DDR3L layout on your custom board the exactly same as Jetson?
Is your PCB stack up (6 layers, dielectic constant value, etc) the same as Jetson?

Any difference on DDR3L layout can cause DDR3L memory controller timing changes that can result “this hangs without error waiting for the bootloader to initialize”

Thanks,
Young

Is there an eeprom (with board ID) in your design as that of Jetson? If not, you should skip board ID check in order to have a successfull boot. To do that, you can uncomment BOARDID line under l4/release/scripts/board_config/jetson-tk1.conf

I am having the same problem. It is sitting there forever. I can boot it from sdcard. I used the same command to flash another Jetson and that worked (but now that Jetson won’t power up).

1. I am using L4T version 19.3.2 release
  2. Development is done on native Linux host Ubuntu 14.04 LTS [64 bit version]
  3. All the packages extracted with sudo permissions.
  4. micro-B USB cable connection is proper
  5. I am able to list my board on PC using lsusb command. So, jetson board is in recovery mode

I can still run the board when I am using SD card.

sudo ./flash.sh -S 14GiB -L bootloader/ardbeg/u-boot.bin jetson-tk1 mmcblk1p1

RCM communication completed
BCT sent successfully
odm data: 0x6009c000
downloading bootloader – load address: 0x80108000 entry point: 0x80108000
sending file: fastboot.bin

• 900492/900492 bytes sent
    fastboot.bin sent successfully
    waiting for bootloader to initialize

By saying “mmcblk1p1” you specifically told it to NOT boot eMMC. Try mmcblk0p1.

Sorry that was a typo. I tried both ways. I tried flashing the sd card and also emmc but the problem persists