Jetson TK1 GUI not Loading but booting properly!

Thank you @linuxdev. I was thinking of copying it into a usb drive, plugging it into the board and copying using the terminal you get by Ctrl + Alt + F1, But your method is better and i didn’t know about this feature.

Can you tell me how to stop this file from being overwritten while updating? if it keeps happening then would i have to keep copying the file over and over? How can this be fixed?

Thanks in Advance.

I’m not sure of the exact location or settings which change this. I’ve heard of this being an issue in L4T R19.2, but not in R19.3…I’m on R19.3 and have not had the problem, yet have done apt update and apt-get upgrade several times. Somewhere in the apt package management system there must be a configuration for this, but I’m not all that familiar with it…I’ve mainly developed on fedora or redhat variants and there are ways to tell the package manager to not overwrite or update a particular package.

Did you flash with R19.3? Obviously you correctly ran apply_binaries.sh, or else none of the sha1sum /etc/nv_tegra_release would have worked.

FYI, you could copy your L4T nv_tegra/nvidia_drivers.tbz2 into the root of your Jetson and simply unpack it whenever it goes bad…this contains the files checked in /etc/nv_tegra_release. During flash it simply copies these to the sample rootfs, and then rootfs into system.img, then system.img into Jetson.

Or you could copy this one file to somewhere like /home/ubuntu/backup/ and copy it over to the correct location whenever you want without even using a thumb drive or scp.

Thx, Linuxdev! i had an update of ubuntu this morning and the screen went blank. i dont know which package caused the problem. i replaced the driver-file libglx.so as you said and it booted back as normal.
thx again!

Thank You linuxdev! It took me quite some time to fix it because I couldn’t borrow my dorm-mates monitor for some time. I had to re-flash it because I forgot to update the OMDATA in the .conf file for enabling USB 3.0. I made a backup for the libglx.so file in jetson tk1 itself. Hopefully this bug gets fixed soon.
Regards,
Mingfield

I recently purchased a Jetson TK1. I did everything according to the different manuals and everything worked perfectly fine, including CUDA, OpenCV, etc. However, today I tried to install qgroundcontrol (I will use my Jetson TK1 for aerial applications) and the memory got full (12gb), the screen froze and after resetting it, my GUI does not work.

When I press Ctrl+Alt+F1, the following appears:

• Starting early crypto disks…
  • Setting up X socket directories…
  • Speech-dispatcher disabled; edit /etc/default/speech-dispatcher
    saned disabled; edit /etc/default/saned

When I run sha1sum -c /etc/nv_tegra_release, everything is OK (including libglx.so).

Could anyone tell me what is wrong? How can I return to my previous status?

Thanks!

Does the networking work, can you log in with ssh? Did you try making more free space?

If the networking doesn’t work, yu could try connecting the serial cable as you should be able to see the full boot log from there and maybe get a shell.

The message on saned is normal. I suspect you are still out of space…X and some other applications require temporary files. FYI, when I flashed R19.3 I used size 14GiB, but default on R19.3 is 12GiB. You can get a very slightly larger size using a more exact “MiB”, but I forget what the max is. Have not tried R21.1 yet, but it is supposed to be easier to use max size with that flash.

If you can log in at the prompt you can still remove files and packages. Some of this in turn might require temp space and fail. Directly deleting files would possibly do the job, but in your place I’d first try deleting the new package, and second try bzip2 on files you can unzip later, e.g., /usr/share/doc/ files. Or perhaps plug in an SD card and move files to there temporarily (mv should not require temp file space).

Thanks so much! It made the work! Everything works as usual. I just found that when starting the board the following line “Stopping load modules from /etc/modules” fails, not sure about its relevance…

After successful update I start GUI with startx but in return i get only default background with nothing else. Any clues why and how to fix this?

Hello Linuxdev,
I am working on Nvidia Jetson TK1 , But now a days when i logged my board It shows me blank display Ubuntu14.04 LTS.
not showing any folder ex: ubuntu 14.04 FOLDER [MY documents,home etc.]

Can you please let me know the whats an issue?

Regards,
Saurabh
Attachments
IMG_3047.JPG

Can I verify which L4T version this is? Was there anything specific you were using the Jetson with prior to this showing up (especially something which might write a lot of data do disk)?

I can think of a number of reasons this might be…not all apply to Jetsons, but usually offer some knowledge even if not directly applicable.

If you were to lose access to configuration of the desktop, the the desktop would basically be empty. Some people mount a separate disk for “/home” (I do this on my PC), and if you migrate to a new operating system using the old home directory you might fail to set user ID and group ID on the new system to match what was on the disk with the home directory…the user with the same name will no longer have permission to access that directory, and the configuration files would essentially be missing. You haven’t changed accounts, but it demonstrates access to desktop config being a problem.

I have also seen this in SElinux enforcing mode where some sort of manual creation of a user home directory was not done through an SElinux-aware setup (Jetsons are not SElinux enforced so this is only a demonstration of the mechanism).

If those files used for the desktop configuration were being altered, or altered just prior to shutting down without a clean/non-destructive shutdown command, then the journal system would probably delete those files on restart as a way of avoiding losing 100% of the file system. This can happen even with power surges or brownouts which are too quick for the eye to see if those events occur during or after something writing to or saving desktop content configuration. Do you always use software shutdown commands before removing power (holding the power button down or removing the power cable can cause loss…plus as mentioned, brownouts and power spikes)?

There are also a lot of cases (and this might be what is going on) where the file system is completely filled, and you cannot write anything to it. Many parts of login require writing temporary files, and so it may be that you got to a point in login where setting your configuration is not possible due to a full file system.

Can you log in via CTRL-ALT-F1 in text mode? This would be a clue, and also a great way to look further (ALT-F7 gets back to GUI). ssh is a great way to debug as well…but unfortunately, if the disk is full, then this too will fail since ssh login needs temporary files. Serial console will always work, but “sudo” might fail if the disk is full and if temp files must be written for sudo. If you can get to a command line, what does “df -H /” show?

It is also possible (but not likely) that part of your eMMC is failing. The reason it isn’t likely is because most often such a failure would leave all eMMC bad…it isn’t impossible though.

I am using Ubuntu14.04 version. Yes it has a lots of data from sensor [video,image etc.].

when i use this “df -h” command it shows above screenshot.

how can I clean old data from the board to get size availibilty?

can you please help me out ? or else how can i set up a new board again?

do you have any idea how to use external SD card to the board. Is there any special process for applying external SD card?