Jetson TX1 Flashing Doesn't Finish

Hello all,

I am using the nvidia Jetson TX1 to develop a computer vision application. As of now, I am using Jetpack 2.3.1 on a dual-boot Ubuntu 14.04.5, and am in-process of installing the development tools for my host computer and my Jetson device. I have ran the Jetpack installer, and installed all support libraries and tools for my host computer.

I have begun the Jetson TX1 flashing process, but the ssh terminal that the flash script opens consistently stops outputting. I have attached the terminal output below. I have closed the script after this pause and manually booted up the Jetson, but no GUI is present on the monitor connected to the Jetson HDMI port. This leads me to believe that the device has not been fully flashed, and that there is no OS present on the system.

I have reinstalled my Ubuntu 14.04.5 OS and have made certain that there is enough disk space for the Jetpack install. I have also made certain that the Jetson is in recovery mode using the lsusb command. I have also attempted to ping the Jetson after the flashing process stops using “ping tegra-ubuntu.” My computer successfully finds the Jetson’s IP address, but there is no response from the device.

The central problem is that the Jetson device wont finish flashing from my host computer. Any advice, troubleshooting, or other assistance would be much appreciated.

This is the output of the ssh terminal used by the flashing script at the stopping point

[ 1.5561 ] Sending BCTs
[ 1.5585 ] tegrarcm --download bct P2180_A00_LP4_DSC_204Mhz.bct
[ 1.5608 ] Applet version 00.01.0000
[ 1.5632 ] Sending bct
[ 1.5635 ] [................................................] 100%
[ 1.7222 ]
[ 1.7223 ] Sending bootloader and pre-requisite binaries
[ 1.7233 ] tegrarcm --download ebt cboot.bin 0 0 --download rp1 tegra210-jetson-tx1-p2597-2180-a01-devkit.dtb 0
[ 1.7254 ] Applet version 00.01.0000
[ 1.7284 ] Sending ebt
[ 1.7288 ] [................................................] 100%
[ 1.8195 ] Sending rp1
[ 1.8406 ] [................................................] 100%
[ 1.9114 ]
[ 1.9115 ] Retrieving storage infomation
[ 1.9132 ] tegrarcm --oem platformdetails storage storage_info.bin
[ 1.9148 ] Applet version 00.01.0000
[ 1.9169 ] Saved platform info in storage_info.bin
[ 1.9746 ]
[ 1.9764 ] tegrarcm --boot recovery
[ 1.9786 ] Applet version 00.01.0000 
****Program Stops****

----Edit to Original Post----

I added the “Program stops” line into the code field at the end of the original post to indicate where the terminal stopped outputting text. This extra line was NOT generated by the flashing script.

To clarify, when you say ping finds the IP but has no response, does this say no ping reply?

It looks like part of the flash at least starts, but I’ve never seen it do the “Program Stops” before. This at least does verify recovery mode and USB cable presence. Is there a USB HUB intervening? If so, try with no HUB.

----Edit to Original Post----

I added the “Program stops” line into the code field at the end of the original post to indicate where the terminal stopped outputting text. This extra line was NOT generated by the flashing script.

I should revise my previous statement about using the ping command. The Jetson TX1 is connected to the same router as the host computer–both over Ethernet. After entering the command “ping tegra-ubuntu” into a terminal, I get this output after roughly a minute (I exited ping manually with ctrl+C).

PING tegra-ubuntu.Home (198.105.254.23) 56(84) bytes of data.
^C
--- tegra-ubuntu.Home ping statistics ---
95 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 94105ms

Also, the Jetson is directly connected to a USB 3.0 port on the host computer via the USB Micro-B cable included in the Jetson box. There are no intermediate USB hubs.

Hi there, are you using a VM or is it a native Ubuntu install? VM’s may hang sometimes (like the hubs).

May be worth trying different host USB ports on your PC, as well.

If you try it a couple of times, it should go through most of the time. If it always hangs no matter what, may be worth considering contacting the RMA team for an advance replacement.