Jetson TX1 USB 3.0 and login not working after Ubuntu 16.04 update

After updating my Jetson TX1 to Ubuntu 16.04, my USB 3.0 (where keyboard is connected) stopped working.

I could see an error “tegra-xhci tegra-xhci: failed to init firmware from filesystem tegra21x_xusb_firmware” during reboot. I could also get to the login page, but since my keyboard no longer works, I could not type in my password.

After a while, another login page would come up that allows onscreen keyboard. When I key in my password, it would just load and go back to the login page.

Is it an Ubuntu update issue such that it overwrote some of the drivers? Is there a step-by-step guide to restore it to factory setting? Or, since Ubuntu has already been updated, is there a way to just update/fix the drivers?

Do you have ssh access? If so, does this succeed:

sha1sum -c /etc/nv_tegra_release

FYI, never update Ubuntu versions any way except JetPack or command line driver package. If you used “apt” mechanism to change version of Ubuntu you would have overwritten all of the files specific to the Jetson’s hardware…regular Ubuntu update does not know about those files. If this was the case then you’ll probably need to flash.

Thanks for your reply linuxdev! I tried sha1sum -c /etc/nv_tegra_release and the report seems to show that all files are “OK”
Any other ways to try out before resorting to flash?

The files from nv_tegra_release are files specifically added by NVIDIA, and are apparently still in place. Those files often require a matching ABI version from the native packages, e.g., the video driver requires Xorg to be a particular ABI (input devices as well are through XInput and must go lock-step in versioning with video). So I suspect files NVIDIA depends on are the wrong version if you did an upgrade of the whole o/s via the apt mechanism. If that is the case flash is your only alternative (you can clone to preserve a copy of what you have before flashing). So the question is whether your updating to 16.04 was via an NVIDIA mechanism (such as JetPack or driver package), or if it was via apt?