Jetson TX2 CSI Test pattern generator

Is there any option of generating test pattern internally as per CSI specification which can be used as input for debug purposes (in place of any external CSI inputs)?

There is a Test Pattern generator (TPG) block in nvcsi architecture block diagram, does it serve the same purpose? Are there any examples of its usage?

hello asiluvery,

yes, we used TPG for nvcsi block verification internally.
we had done nvcsi block verification and publish formal release image,
may i have more details about your use-case?
thanks

Hi Jerry,

We are using TX2 to stream video from SDI-CSI2 bridge (custom hardware) which is connected to Camera expansion connector on the Jetson carrier board.

Based on other posts most of them are facing issues getting video data over CSI2 and the key is to get the MIPI timing right. So I was thinking of using an internal test pattern generator that can generate test data as per MIPI timing, this can be used to debug and complete development on TX2 side. This will help in isolating the issues better and as a reference to tune our hardware to get the timings expected on the TX2 side for streaming data.
Can this be achieved with internal pg? please let me know if there are any examples to use it?

regards
Arun

hello asiluvery,

TX2 TPG is default enabled, you can following below steps to turn it on for testing.

1. install TPG kernel module.
$ sudo insmod /lib/modules/4.4.38-tegra/kernel/drivers/media/platform/tegra/tpg/nvhost-vi-tpg.ko
  1. check the /dev/ for generated video devices. they’ll be created like /dev/videoX
ls /dev/video*
/dev/video0  /dev/video1  /dev/video2  /dev/video3  /dev/video4  /dev/video5
  1. access and capture data by v4l2-ctl.
    for example,
v4l2-ctl --set-fmt-video=width=1920,height=1080,pixelformat="RG10" --device=/dev/video1 --stream-count=10 --stream-mmap --stream-to=tpg.raw

since you’ll need to tune the correct settings for your streaming device,
i think better approach would be config your bridge hardware to generated the test pattern.
thanks

Hello! I get this picture. And I need a gradient and a checkerboard. How do I change this picture?

hello lyubimov-maxim,

wow, this is a three-years-old discussion thread.
it seems you had a new request, could you please initial another new topic for further supports.
thanks