JETSON TX2 Fail to Boot

Hi I was trying to install OpenALPR Scout Agent on TX2 with Ubuntu 18.04 installed. After restart it can’t boot with messages “Failed to start OpenALPR Agent”, “Failed to start OpenALPR Link” and keep blinking as the picure below. How can I fix it and boot again normally? Thanks

Hi,

Do you mean the TX2 gets stuck in the step you shared?
Or keep rebooting several times?

Thanks.

Yes it gets stuck in that step and the display monitor just keep blinking

One thing you might consider is first cloning the rootfs partition. I’m not so sure it will be possible to remove (or disable) the OpenALPR from a host PC (could probably be done via QEMU), but in theory a clone can be fixed on the PC, and then the fixed clone installed. Do keep in mind that if you use clones you must stick with the same L4T release for flashing it back onto the system which originally created the system.

A typical clone would be with the micro-B USB attached and in recovery mode, with about 50GB of free space on the Ubuntu host PC, and this command:
sudo ./flash.sh -r -k APP -G my_backup.img jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1

This would produce “sparse” clone “my_backup.img” (not particularly useful, but smaller in size and you can flash with it), along with “raw” clone “my_backup.img.raw”. It is this latter image which is most useful, but is also larger (the size of the full partition). Either image can be used for flash, but the raw image is the one which can be loopback mounted and manipulated/fixed prior to using it for flash.

Also, even if you can’t fix the boot issue using a clone, it will save all of your data and other content which could then be later copied via a loopback mounted clone. Normally I would suggest a clone backup of anything important before experimenting.

Thanks for your reply.

Right now I am trying to reflash TX2 to see if it can resume normal. I want to ask if I can download SDK Manager 1.6.rpm on CentOS 7.9 (host computer) and flash the JetPack on TX2? Or can it only be Ubuntu 18.04 or 16.04 for the SDK Manager?

Thanks

SDKM only works on Ubuntu. SDKM is a front end to the actual flash software, and although a lot of functionality would be missing, you could install the “driver” package and “sample rootfs” packages and manually set up and flash. This would not make optional packages, e.g., CUDA, available.

I don’t know if Ubuntu 16.04 is tested with the latest SDKM, but 18.04 is well-tested. I think 20.04 was just added to the list recently of machines which can be used for SDKM.