Jetson TX2 - Failed to flash device

Hello,

I am new hear and have the same problem with flashing the Jetson TX2 device. In my opinion I followed all the steps to bring the board in recovery mode and also see the USB connection: Bus 001 Device 006: ID 0955:7c18 NVidia Corp. So my question is what could be the problem with flashing the device or how can I find out if the board is really in recovery mode.

Thanks

If you see the USB response you just quoted from the PC, then you are guaranteed recovery mode is active.

If the host is a VM, then this tends to cause a lot of failures. What error did you see during the flash? Which JetPack or L4T version? Is the host a VM?

Ok thanks.

The host is not a VM it is Ubuntu 16.04 Mate and a JetPack 3.3 version.

Error: probing the target board failed.
Make sure the target board is connected through
micro-B USB port and is in recovery mode.

Do you see any file named cvm.bin under your bootloader folder?

No I can’t find a cmv file in dir 64_TX2/Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader

Have you ever used i2c to modify any content in cvm eeprom?

No we have not changed anything

Is your device still able to boot up?
I would like to check your eeprom.

I’m having a similar problem. SDK Manager does not flash ‘lost connection’ from Ubuntu 18 host.

Tried to flash directly but get the following:

~/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.2_Linux_P3310/Linux_for_Tegra$ sudo ./flash.sh jetson-tx2 mmcblk0p1
###############################################################################

L4T BSP Information:

R32 (release), REVISION: 1.0, GCID: 14531094, BOARD: t186ref, EABI: aarch64,

DATE: Wed Mar 13 07:41:08 UTC 2019

###############################################################################
Error: probing the target board failed.
Make sure the target board is connected through
USB port and is in recovery mode.

tried several USB cables but results rae the same.

lsusb gives:
~/nvidia/nvidia_sdk/JetPack_4.2_Linux_P3310/Linux_for_Tegra$ lsusb -d 0955:7c18
Bus 001 Device 038: ID 0955:7c18 NVidia Corp.

Any ideas appreciated as this problem is eating up my time.

USB disconnects and reconnects during flash. If you are using a VM (which isn’t supported), then the VM hasn’t been given 100% ownership of the device (e.g., perhaps it works until disconnect, but then isn’t given the port back upon reconnect). Is the host a VM?

No, it’s a laptop running Ubuntu 18.

No, it’s a laptop running Ubuntu 18.

I have heard of some old laptops not working, but that’s rather rare. Even so, can you try the following variations:

• Direct to a port...a different port if already direct to a port.
  • With and without a HUB. Powered does not matter since a TX2 powers itself.
  • If you have another host you can try, then test also with that host.

Also, is this the default micro-B USB cable which comes with the kit? Many typical cell phone style cables don’t really work well with data.

Laptop is new, (Dell) bought for this job. I’ve tried all the ports and have used a hub.
The cable used the cable supplied with the TX2, although I’ve also tried a couple of other cables. Unfortunately I’ve no access to another host running Linux to try.

This could be an actual TX2 hardware failure, but the acid test would be to try flashing on a different host. A less definitive test might be to see if you read large amounts of data from an external USB hard drive on the laptop.

An example test for the host follows. I am assuming you have an external hard drive (or even a large USB thumb drive) on the host laptop, and that the drive shows as “/dev/sdb” (adjust for your case). If the following tests complete without error on the same laptop port as which fails the Jetson, then I am going to suggest odds go up the TX2 itself is failing (between the two of these there should be a failure if the disconnect is at the laptop end):

sudo cat /dev/sdb > /dev/null
sudo dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/null bs=512

(these tests are non-destructive to the device you are reading)