Jetson tx2 not powering up is module safe?

Hello,

I recently tried to power up the jetson tx2 developer kit with a 14.8V battery, it is possible that the barrel connector was sorted due to my bad soldering, and now i learned that the developer kit isn’t supposed to be battery powered although i have seen do it. Anyway i think the developer kit is dead only CR5 led pin is on and the buttons don’t do nothing. My question is what are the chanches that the module it’self had the same fate? Is it worth to buy a 3rd party carrier board to test? Thanks!

It might be that everything is ok, but there is a power issue. The TX2 is rather susceptible to needing a very good regulation right at the moment of startup. If there is a slight spike in current draw which drops voltage enough right at the instant of power on (a very brief spike too fast to see without some good equipment), then it simply won’t power on. The voltage and power source you mention should be ok.

One issue could be if the wires are too long relative to how much current is drawn during that spike. Heavier wires might help.

Another issue is that some barrel connectors advertise the 5.5mm size but the inner diameter actually varies somewhat and has a bit of resistance if one of these “slightly off” barrel connectors is used.

Unless you saw fire or smoke or dimming lights (I actually had a printer that did that…filled the house with smoke you couldn’t see through), then I suspect all is still ok.

I think you are assuming i am still trying to power it up with a battery, i am trying with the wall adapter that came with, the buttons don’t do nothing no matter how long they are pressed (I pressed them many many times), only the CR5 led is lit, I think the battery was sorted in the barrel roll (it was 5.5 mm). What should i do is the module safe?

I can’t say for sure, but if something did go wrong the carrier board is probably the only bad component (there are no guarantees). Modules usually survive power delivery failures in the carrier board (the module would likely still work with a new carrier board, but prices on the TX2 dev kit might be cheaper than a carrier board and you would have two modules). You could go for RMA (the voltage of that battery is well within specs). If you do want to do that search for RMA near the top of this:
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/793798/embedded-systems/some-jetson-web-links/

Not all 5.5mm connectors are the same. To illustrate, see this URL:
https://www.digikey.com/products/en/connectors-interconnects/barrel-power-connectors/435?FV=fff40016%2Cfff80518%2C740002%2C8740005%2C1e88001f%2Cffe001b3&quantity=0&pbfree=1&ColumnSort=0&page=1&stock=1&rohs=1&k=barrel+connector&pageSize=500&pkeyword=barrel+connector

Notice that they all advertise as standard 5.5mm OD, and that all would advertise as 2.5mm ID. Even so, there is an “actual” inner diameter which differs. I use the “actual” ID of 2.5mm. Physically either would fit without damage, but I’m wondering if something went wrong with a slightly off-sized ID which damaged the connector itself while drawing current (since you are now using the supplied power there is obviously something that went wrong).

You could get another carrier board, but do beware they need to have a different device tree (the “board support package”, or BSP is mostly device tree differences). You’d have to flash, and you could save the rootfs, but you may need to modify it if flashing the new BSP doesn’t work with the cloned rootfs.

Someone else may know of a particular carrier board component to test and for replacement advise on that component.

you missed me somewhat what do you mean diffferent device trees will i need to reflash the jetson with the new BSP to support the new board? i don’t care if i lose my data that you mean with rootfs? hm to buy the developer kit with shipping (20% tax) will cost me 600 euros while the orbitty carrier 230 euros, i think i should go with the orbitty and if need be buy a new module, there is no option to buy only the developer board

Developer kits come with the module flashed to run with that carrier board. You can’t just unplug a module from one carrier board and put it in the other carrier board and have it 100% functional (I doubt any harm would come to the module, but pieces of it might not function, e.g., certain ports or features might appear broken until the new BSP is added). Basically you’d need to add some software into the flashing process which is specific to the Orbitty carrier…the manufacturer provides that software in what is known as the Board Support Package (“BSP”). Most of the BSP will be in device tree changes to compensate for how connectors are wired differently.

The rootfs is just another way of saying the main partition Linux runs in and is the actual content you see when browsing around in Linux. If you don’t save a copy of the original module (a clone) as a way of restoring that rootfs during a flash, then you don’t need to worry about it. A fresh flash usually erases the rootfs and places a brand new system in. A clone keeps that system the same, but I was pointing out that you can’t directly use a clone if the rest of the install is also changing.

Just to emphasize, I highly suspect your module is working and only the carrier board failed, but there is no way to be certain. Someone from NVIDIA may know of a test point you can measure a power rail voltage in order to determine if the carrier simply fails to deliver power.