jetson tx2i can't use usb device in ubuntu16.04.

Hello!

we have this quesetion that jetson tx2i can't use usb device in ubuntu16.04, it even can't supply power to mouse and keyboard, but it can use usb device normally in ubuntu18.04.

We need tx2i run the ubuntu16.04 system. So we wish you help can solve this problem.

Think you !

Hi,
The first release for TX2i is r28.2.1 and it is with sample rootfs of Ubuntu 16.04. After flashing this release, we don’t observe the issue. While connecting keyboard or mouse to the type A port, the device is working normally.

If you need Ubuntu 16.04, you may flash r28.2.1 or r28.3.1.

Hello,

I have already updated the tx2i with r28.2.1, r28.3.1 and r32.1. Result are following.

r32.1 can use mouse and keyboard normally which are connected to the hub connected the tx2i usb port. But when tx2i run r28.3.1 and r28.2.1, it can't use mouse and keyboard.

I also did a experiment. The result of the experiment is following.

when tx2i run r28.2.1, i pulled the OTG wire from the usb port, it printed "extcon-gpio-states external-connection:extcon@1: Cable state 0" by serial port. Then, on the contrary, i insert the OTG wire into usb port, it printed "extcon-gpio-states external-connection: extcon@1: Cable state 2". We can see the cable state have changed.

I don't know why i can can run normally in r32.1 but anormally in r28.2.1 and r28.3.1. I assume that there may be some mistake in usb driver in r28.3.1 and r28.2.1.

I wish you can help me analyse this situation and solve it.

Thank you!

Hi,
We don’t observe this USB enumeration issue on default board. Do you use your own custom board? Enumeration of mouse and keyboard is basic function and we do verify it in each release. We also verify it again on r28.2.1 after you raise this issue. Shall be working just fine on default board.

Hello!

Your company official website says that Jetson TX2 Development Kit added an INA3221 power monitoring chip to the reference carrier board for monitoring the 5V supply, Custom carriers without the chip may need to manually enable USB power in the device tree to gain connectivity. Then i downloaded the source code from the official website in order to modify the device tree code.

I have modified the device tree code refering to the official code and compiled it. However after i compile the code , it can't output the file whose name is tegra186-quill-p3489-0888-a00-00-base.dtb existing in download package. Then i replace the dtb file with what i get from compile. However, i also don't solve the usb problem. Usb still can't be used when tx2i run r28.2.1.

I assume that i might have some mistake in the process of compilie. Because i refered the compile command from r32.1 since i can't get the compile command in r28.2.1. What is more, compile can't output the tegra186-quill-p3489-0888-a00-00-base.dtb file.

So, i hope you can supply me with the compile command in r28.2.1.

Thank you!

Hi,
For USB lane mapping on custom board, please check following page:

https://elinux.org/Jetson/TX2_USB

For TX2i, the files are

tegra186-quill-power-tree-p3489-1000-a00-00.dtsi
tegra186-quill-p3489-1000-a00-plugin-manager.dtsi

More detail is in adaptation guide:
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/dlc/l4t-driver-package-tx2-adaptation-guide

Hello !

I just modified the tegra186-quill-power-tree-p3489-1000-a00-00.dtsi file referring https://elinux.org/Jetson/TX2_USB.

What i have modified are following.

pinctrl@3520000 {
vbus-0-supply = <&vdd_usb0_5v>;
vbus-1-supply = <&vdd_usb1_5v>;
- vbus-2-supply = <&vdd_usb2_5v>;
+ vbus-2-supply = <&battery_reg>;
vbus-3-supply = <&battery_reg>;
vddio-hsic-supply = <&battery_reg>;
avdd_usb-supply = <&spmic_sd3>;
vclamp_usb-supply = <&spmic_sd2>;
avdd_pll_erefeut-supply = <&spmic_sd2>;
};

But i still can't use the usb devices when the tx2i run r28.2.1. I also notified that the modifications above adapt to r27. It may need some other modifications to use usb devices normally in r28.2.1.

My company have to use the ubuntu16 in projection, so i need use usb devices normally in r28. I wish you can provide some help with me.

Thank you!

Hi,
If your USB lane mapping is identical to default board, you should only need the one-line modification. You may check if it is applied to device tree correctly by ‘xxd’ command. Please refer to
https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1048285/jetson-tx2/how-to-setup-usb-config-4-for-tx2-l4t-28-2-1-/post/5320806/#5320806

If you run different USB lane mapping, you can look at adaptation guide for thorough device tree programming.

Thank you !

I have solved this problem with your help. The key i fail to use usb devices in r28.2.1 is that i did't update the dtb file successful after i modified the tegra186-quill-power-tree-p3489-1000-a00-00.dtsi.