Jetson Xavier NX Developer Kit 4 lane CSI camera

Is it possible to use the two CAM ports on the devkit simultaneously to support a CSI 4 lane camera (for eg, using a special adapter to connect to the two ports at once)? Or does this need a different carrier board?

hello AJ.PV,

Jetson Xavier NX brings fourteen MIPI CSI lanes to the connector for the usage.
please access Jetson Xavier NX Product Design Guide form Jetson download center for reference.
you may also check [Table 8-3. CSI Configurations] and [Figure 8-2. CSI Connection Options] for the 4-lane configurations.
thanks

Hello JerryChang,

My question is if it is possible to have 4 lane configuration on the default devkit carrier board. That is, I want to know if the CSI0 block is connected to camera port J1, and CSI1 to the port J9 on the developer kit board.

hello AJ.PV,

had you review NX Product Design Guide?
it’s able to support three quad-lane camera streams.
thanks

Hello JerryChang,

I think I found the answer in Jetson Nano, Jetson Nano 2GB, Jetson TX2 NX, and Jetson Xavier NX Camera Module Hardware Design Guide. In Figure 2-8, it shows that connector J1 connects to CSI_0 and connector J9 connects to CSI_2. In the NX Product Design Guide, it shows that 4-lane can be used between CSI0-CSI1, CSI2-CSI3, and CSI4 . So 4 lane cannot be used in Xavier NX Devkit board because CSI0-CSI2 4 lane configuration is not possible. Is this correct?

hello AJ.PV,

you may enable CSI-0/1 for a four lane configuration,
please refer to Port Index session for more details.
thanks

Hello

Could you please elaborate on how to do the above on the Jetson Xavier NX Developer Kit? The kit only has 2 CSI ports. How do I make them 4 lane and where is the third CSI port? Do I have to solder a port myself and/or add any other components?

hello serstel,

Product Design Guide it’s shown the module capability, please have carrier board design for 3rd CSI connector.

Regarding to 4-lane configuration…
please check the device tree sources of Xavier NX.
for example,
it’s by default having dual 2-lane camera sensor on CSI-0 and CSI-2.

i2c_0:i2c@0 {
                        imx219_cam0: rbpcv2_imx219_a@10 {
                                                rbpcv2_imx219_out0: endpoint {
                                                        port-index = <0>;
                                                        bus-width = <2>;
                i2c_1: i2c@1 {
                        imx219_cam1: rbpcv2_imx219_c@10 {
                                                rbpcv2_imx219_out1: endpoint {
                                                        status = "okay";
                                                        port-index = <2>;
                                                        bus-width = <2>;

according to Port Index session. there’re x1, x2, or x4 lane configuration supported by each CSI brick.
thanks

so if I do the following change will it make the CSI ports 4 lane?

hello serstel,

that’s correct,
taking an example of the 1st CSI brick, such configuration will use both CSI-A and CSI-B to bind a 4-lane camera sensor.

Hello Jerry

Thank you for your quick reply.

What is this “1st CSI brick”? If i configure the 2 CSI ports as 4 lane will I be able to connect 2 12MP IMX477 High Quality Camera on the board? The IMX477 can output 12MP at 60fps with a 4 lane CSI. will the board be able to handle them?

hello serstel,

had you check developer guide, Port Index session. 1st CSI brick here means CSI-A/B.
and, yes. you’re able to enable 4-lane configuration. please see 4-lane CSI camera connection example in product design guide for details.

please also check this design guide, NVIDIA Jetson Nano and Jetson Xavier NX Camera Design Guide.

Hello @serstel ,

I’m having the same issue as you, that is I’m trying to use a CSI 4 lane camera (the Basler daA4200) with the Jetson Xavier NX Developer Kit.

Did you figure out a way to make it work in the end by changing the configuration from 2 lanes to 4 lanes in the devicetree?

Hello Elie

I don’t own Jetson Xavier NX Developer Kit so I can’t experiment but, I was told from another source that it won’t work.
I found this carrier board that should work though ( I don’t own this either).
Boson for FRAMOS Carrier Board for NVIDIA® Jetson Xavier™ NX
[https://connecttech.com/product/boson-for-framos-carrier-board-for-nvidia-jetson-xavier-nx-vis/]

Edit: Interesting camera choice but no autofocus and only 30fps. The reason I wanted a 4-lane is because I want 60fps. I believe that 2 lanes are sufficient for 30fps.

Hello Serstel,

Thanks for getting back to me!

I contacted the Basler technical support and the camera does need 4 lanes in order to have the full 30fps unfortunately.