JPEG encoding performance

Please provide the following info (check/uncheck the boxes after clicking “+ Create Topic”):
Software Version
DRIVE OS Linux 5.2.0
DRIVE OS Linux 5.2.0 and DriveWorks 3.5
NVIDIA DRIVE™ Software 10.0 (Linux)
NVIDIA DRIVE™ Software 9.0 (Linux)
other DRIVE OS version
other

Target Operating System
Linux
QNX
other

Hardware Platform
NVIDIA DRIVE™ AGX Xavier DevKit (E3550)
NVIDIA DRIVE™ AGX Pegasus DevKit (E3550)
other

SDK Manager Version
other

Host Machine Version
native Ubuntu 18.04
other

Hi,
I understand that Drive OS 5.1.9 is not an official release, but I’d still like to ask the following:

In this post, Nvmimg_jpgenc supported yuv format and performace issue, its stated that with the sample yuv input, average encoding time per frame is 2.5264 ms

When I run the exact same JPEG encoding sample with the exact same input frame and quality settings, i.e.

./nvmimg_jpgenc -f fisheye_1280_1080_yuv420.yuv -fr 1280x1080 -of 1280-1080-420.jpg -q 75

I’m getting a higher average encoding time per frame at 6.0ms per frame.

My question is, has there been an update in the JPEG encoding library from 5.1.9 to 5.2.0 that might cause this difference? Furthermore, I cannot seem to find a statement in the Xavier SoC documentation which clearly specifies that there is hardware accelerated JPEG encoding module.
My doubt comes from the fact that, H264 encoding of the identical YUV frames above, with “I-only” encoding (no P or B frames) happens faster than JPEG.

Thanks and regards

Hi @goksani,

This forum is only for DevZone releases and only Linux there.
I assume you have another support channel for DRIVE OS QNX and suggest you use the channel.
Xavier does have a hardware accelerator for JPEG but DRIVE documentation only mentions APIs and doesn’t include such information.