Julia set example problem

Hi everybody! I am trying to compile and run the sample code about Julia set from Sanders’ book CUDA by example on a Fedora 14 X86_64 architecture. I got some errors, part of which I solved, part I didn’t and I’d like you to help me with.

I compile using the following command

nvcc -I/usr/local/cuda/include/ -I/path-to-sanders-book-code/common -L/usr/local/cuda/lib64 -lcuda -lcudart -lglut -o cuda03.exe cuda03.cu

and I get the following errors

In file included from /path-to-sanders-book-code/common/gl_helper.h:44,

from 

/path-to-sanders-book-code/common/cpu_bitmap.h:20,

from cuda03.cu:2:

/path-to-sanders-book-code/common/GL/glut.h:151:1: warning: "APIENTRY" redefined

In file included from 

/path-to-sanders-book-code/common/GL/glut.h:137,

from 

/path-to-sanders-book-code/common/gl_helper.h:44,

from 

/path-to-sanders-book-code/common/cpu_bitmap.h:20,

from cuda03.cu:2:

/usr/include/GL/gl.h:113:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition

/path-to-sanders-book-code/common/GL/glut.h(158): warning: omission of exception specification is incompatible with previous function "exit"

/usr/include/stdlib.h(544): here

cuda03.cu(27): error: calling a host function("cuComplex::cuComplex") from a __device__/__global__ function("julia") is not allowed

cuda03.cu(28): error: calling a host function("cuComplex::cuComplex") from a __device__/__global__ function("julia") is not allowed

cuda03.cu(33): error: calling a host function("cuComplex::cuComplex") from a __device__/__global__ function("julia") is not allowed

cuda03.cu(33): error: calling a host function("cuComplex::cuComplex") from a __device__/__global__ function("julia") is not allowed

4 errors detected in the compilation of "/tmp/tmpxft_00003670_00000000-4_cuda03.cpp1.ii".

Ok, the last four are easy to solve, I just put the device specifier where needed (cuComplex constructor).

The first error refer to multiple definitions. Since the compiler says the variable APIENTRY is already defined in /usr/include/GL/gl.h, I just comment the define statement in the file /path-to-sanders-book-code/common/GL/glut.h, row 151

/* non-Win32 case. */

/* Define APIENTRY and CALLBACK to nothing if we aren't on Win32. */

//# define APIENTRY

# define GLUT_APIENTRY_DEFINED

# define CALLBACK

/* Define GLUTAPI and GLUTCALLBACK as below if we aren't on Win32. */

# define GLUTAPI extern

# define GLUTCALLBACK

/* Prototype exit for the non-Win32 case (see above). */

extern void exit(int);

#endif

Now, I do the same for the second error

/path-to-sanders-book-code/common/GL/glut.h(158): warning: omission of exception specification is incompatible with previous function "exit"

/usr/include/stdlib.h(544): here

Hence I comment out the row 158 in the former file (glut.h)

/* non-Win32 case. */

/* Define APIENTRY and CALLBACK to nothing if we aren't on Win32. */

//# define APIENTRY

# define GLUT_APIENTRY_DEFINED

# define CALLBACK

/* Define GLUTAPI and GLUTCALLBACK as below if we aren't on Win32. */

# define GLUTAPI extern

# define GLUTCALLBACK

/* Prototype exit for the non-Win32 case (see above). */

//extern void exit(int);

#endif

Now the example compiles. However, at runtime I only get a window with a black screen and I don’t see the snapshot I am supposed to see.

Any suggestion??

Thanks,

Guido

Edit

I solved my black screen problem. So basically, I can get rid of the warnings by doing what I have already said and then I realized I had a small typing error in the code, but was fundamental.

In the routine: device int julia I had

if(a.magnitude2() < 1000) return 0;

Instead of

if(a.magnitude2() > 1000) return 0;

Hence my set was empty, hence the black screen.

Cheers,

Guido