K3000M has it, when will K2000M/K1000M be Supported??

Really frustrated, spent a few grand on a high end laptop (Dell Precision M4700), thinking that upgraded Nvidia card would be fully supported in Linux.

Now I discover that the K3000M has full nvidia-smi capabilities while the K2000M/K1000M might as well be 10 years old (i.e. card capabilities list a bunch of N/As).

When will these cards be fully supported like the K3000M?

Unbelievable that with a GeForce GT 330M and old 173.xx driver I could UNDERCLOCK the card, saving power, extending battery life and reducing heat (read: quiet machine), and now with the latest and greatest driver and a new Nvidia card I find myself completely handcuffed, can do NOTHING to manage power consumption.

Please give an ETA on this, GPU fan is driving me nuts (10 degrees hotter than CPU when idle), would have a whisper quiet machine otherwise – c’mon!!

If you really want to underclock it without depending on any of NVIDIAs support (which probably will never come, as the features you talk about are only supported on their higher end Tesla line of GPUs), you might have to resort to editing the video bios within a BIOS image for that particular laptop. Be mindful that this is dangerous to do if you are not familiar with the process as you can brick your laptop with a bad BIOS flash.

@vacaloca thanks for the feedback, helpful.

If what you say is true, every single Dell M4700 on the planet is affected since K1000M and K2000M are the only upgrade options (from default AMD FirePro chip).

K-rist, over 3 grand on a great machine that is only held back by the graphics driver, not happy ;-(

Anyone have links/references to how to modify the video BIOS?

As it stands these short, click-whirrrrr GPU fan cycles are driving me insane – if I brick the machine at least I’ll have some quiet…

there are some forums over at bios-mods.com and forums.mydigitallife.info that might have related threads on these topics. your google search terms are probably nvidia vbios modify.

Basically the idea is to take a tool that lets you unpack a BIOS into its modules, modify the NVIDIA VBIOS module with the clocks that you want, repack it into a valid BIOS image again, and flash it to your laptop.

Again, if you attempt to do any of this, make sure you are able to blind-flash your laptop bios or have a way or recovering from it – i.e. try to flash the known current BIOS with the blind/recovery procedure successfully before you start messing with repacked BIOS’s.