Got a bug report for you for a very frustrating issue I encountered recently.
When playing random videos (not always the same ones) using MPV (often launched via Ranger, the file manager) or more reliably when playing a video using the Olive video editor (which is GPU accelerated), I would receive a full system lockup.
- Full System Lockup/Hang/Freeze
- Often, system shuts down on its own within 5 minutes. Not always though
- Ctrl + Alt + F2/3/4/etc does not work to switch to a TTY
- Ctrl + Alt + Backspace does not work to kill Xorg
- Alt + Sysrq (REISUB) does not appear to work at all.
- SSH’d in from another machine shows nothing in the logs, and the connection hangs as soon as the crash happens. Pings go unreachable, tmux session doesnt respond, etc.
- DOES NOT APPEAR TO HANG WITH KERNEL 4.19 (still waiting for a freeze, might happen, but a lot more stable than 5.4/5.6)
OS: Manjaro, latest updates as of yesterday
Card: GTX 1660
Kernels: 5.6.3, 5.4.31, 4.19.114
nvidia-bug-report-kernel-4.19.114.log (664.9 KB)
nvidia-bug-report-kernel-5.4.31.log (221.5 KB)
Logs were taken by running
sudo nvidia-bug-report.sh after Olive has opened, but before playing a video. I can’t easily take a log as I’m playing the video…
(I can provide a log for kernel 5.6 if desired as well, if desired)