Kernel Crash Dump for Jetson TX2

I’m trying to use the Kdump tool for jetson TX2 (L4T 32.3.1). For the this purpose, I have to re-configure the kernel by modifying these kernel features:

• CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP=y
  • CONFIG_KEXEC=y
  • CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=y
  • CONFIG_RELOCATABLE=y
    The problem is that I couldn’t found the “CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP” from menuconfig for the version of the kernel I’m using. Any suggestions?

Hi,

Your topic should be posted in the Jetson TX2 category. I am going to move it over for you.

Tom K

Have you try to add CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP=y to …/kernel/kerene-4.9/arch/arm64/configs/tegra_defconfig to build customization kernel to try?

Thank you for reply. I did configure it but I still have another problem. To be able use a dump kernel we have to add “crashkernel=X@Y” parameter to the kernel cmdline to reserve a specific space in the main memory for the kernel that will be loaded in case of kernel panic problem. I’ve successfully added this parameter and I could check it by cat /proc/cmdline after reboot. The problem is I’m still getting this error from the kdump service about reserving memory for the dump kernel:

Sep 20 10:44:01 Fedi systemd[1]: Starting Reboot and dump vmcore via kexec…
Sep 20 10:44:01 Fedi kdump-helper[410]: Memory for crashkernel is not reserved
Sep 20 10:44:01 Fedi kdump-helper[410]: Please reserve memory by passing"crashkernel=X@Y" parameter to kernel
Sep 20 10:44:01 Fedi kdump-helper[410]: Then try to loading kdump kernel
Sep 20 10:44:01 Fedi kdump-helper[403]: Failed to load kdump kernel!
Sep 20 10:44:01 Fedi kdump[412]: Failed to load kdump kernel!
Sep 20 10:44:01 Fedi systemd[1]: kdump.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Sep 20 10:44:01 Fedi systemd[1]: kdump.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Sep 20 10:44:01 Fedi systemd[1]: Failed to start Reboot and dump vmcore via kexec.

Please check if you can access below page.
And pick up those arm64: kdump: changes to verify.

https://git.linaro.org/people/takahiro.akashi/linux-aarch64.git/log/?h=lsk/kdump/for-v4.9

Thanks for your reply, however these changes seem to be present in the kernel I’m using.
I found this information in the documentation of kdump:

On arm64, use “crashkernel=Y[@X]”. Note that the start address of
the kernel, X if explicitly specified, must be aligned to 2MiB (0x200000)

Could you please give me a value of crashkernel=? that will be valid for jetson TX2 platform?

@fadi.salhi
Just confirm that kdump was not supported in k4.9, will be enable in next release(k5.10)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.