Kernel function for parsing a packet with variable number of messages.

I am new to CUDA and I am trying to write a efficient kernel function for parsing a packet containing ‘k’ different messages each of different length (which I know). This is what I have done.

//head ----> pointing to a page locked memory i.e start of the packet

//k -----> Number of messages in the packet

host_func()

{

cudaHostGetDevicePointer(&d_dataPtr, head, 0);

int *h_bytes;

cudaHostAlloc((void**)&h_bytes, sizeof(int), cudaHostAllocWriteCombined | cudaHostAllocMapped);

*h_bytes = 0;

cudaHostGetDevicePointer(&d_bytes, h_bytes, 0);

kernel<<<1,26>>>(d_dataPtr, d_bytes, k);

cudaThreadSynchronize();

}

__global__ void kernel(char *data, int *bytesProcessed, int *numOfMessages)

{

int temp = 0;

for(int i=0;i<*numOfMessages;i++)

{

switch(*data)

{

case 'A':

//do some processing

temp = sizeof(MessageA);

break;

case 'B':

//do some processing

temp = sizeof(MessageB);

break;

case 'C':

//do some processing

temp = sizeof(MessageB);

break;

}

data += temp;

*bytesProcessed += temp;

}

}

I am trying to write the kernel so that all messages with same type are processed on same thread.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Unless all of the threads in a warp process the same message type, this will be extremely inefficient as different message types will be executed sequentially.

I am not able to find a way to synchronize the threads. May be adjusting the number of blocks so that a particular thread processes single message. Any idea of how to do that?

You need to know yourself if there is any particular order in the message types that you can exploit.

For the CUDA programming model and its mapping to the hardware, I’d recommend to make yourself familiar with chapters 2 and 4 of the Programming Guide before spending too much time thinking about the algorithm.