Kernel progress status

Hello

I want to print on screen the status progress of my kernel execution (something like “kernel is x% done”).

At the right moment, i’m trying to launch two concurrent kernels, accessing the same memory area, like this:

__device__ int d_percent;

__global__ void getPercent(int *out) 

{

*out = d_percent;

}

__global__ void compute(int N) 

{

d_percent = 0;

for (int i=0; i<N; i++) {

d_percent = i/(N/100);

}

d_percent = 100;

}

int main(int argc, char** argv) {

cudaSetDevice( cutGetMaxGflopsDeviceId() );

// setup execution parameters

dim3  grid( 1, 1, 1);

dim3  threads( 1, 1, 1);

cudaStream_t stream0;

cudaStream_t stream1;

cudaStreamCreate(&stream0);

cudaStreamCreate(&stream1);

int* h_out;

int* d_out;

cutilSafeCall( cudaMalloc((void**)&d_out, sizeof(int)));

cutilSafeCall( cudaMallocHost((void**)&h_out, sizeof(int)));

// execute the kernel

compute<<< grid, threads, 0, stream0>>>(100000000);

int last = 0;

while (cudaStreamQuery(stream0) == cudaErrorNotReady) {

getPercent<<< grid, threads, 0, stream1>>>(d_out);

cutilSafeCall(cudaMemcpyAsync( h_out, d_out, sizeof(int), cudaMemcpyDeviceToHost, stream1));

cudaStreamSynchronize(stream1);

if (last != *h_out) {

last = *h_out;

printf("%d\n", last);

}

//sleep(1);

}

printf("OUT\n");

// check if kernel execution generated and error

cutilCheckMsg("Kernel execution failed");

}

Unfortunatly, i cant overlap the kernels. The output is only "100\n’, without partial values.

I have tried without two streams, but i can’t obtain partial results also.

What am i missing? Is there any way of getting partial results from kernel to the CPU?

thanks in advance.

1 Like

I think you missed the part in the reference documentation that says that there is no concurrent execution of kernels (even when using streams)

The only way to make your idea work is by using CUDA 2.2 and the new features to directly access the system’s memory from the GPU (which only works on specific nVidia chipsets as it seems)

You could break down your kernel execution into chunks of X percent, depending on how long your kernel takes it might not add a lot of overhead.

Nice idea! I will try to split the kernel in some chunks.

Thanks very much

Why do people keep making this claim? There are two types of zero-copy, basically–one is what happens when you’re running CUDA on GT200 (it can transparently go across the PCIe bus within a kernel and access specific memory regions), and the other is when you’re running CUDA on an MCP79 (the 9400M GPU in Ion and Macs–it can access sysmem directly since because it’s the chipset it’s also the memory controller).

Zero-copy is not dependent on chipset except for specific behaviors relating to really low level PCIe stuff that may be of concern if you’re doing things you probably shouldn’t be doing (reading and writing memory from the CPU and the GPU at the same time).