Kernel updates for XavierA/B

Please provide the following info (check/uncheck the boxes after creating this topic):
Software Version
DRIVE OS Linux 5.2.6
DRIVE OS Linux 5.2.6 and DriveWorks 4.0
DRIVE OS Linux 5.2.0
DRIVE OS Linux 5.2.0 and DriveWorks 3.5
NVIDIA DRIVE™ Software 10.0 (Linux)
NVIDIA DRIVE™ Software 9.0 (Linux)
other DRIVE OS version
other

Target Operating System
Linux
QNX
other

Hardware Platform
NVIDIA DRIVE™ AGX Xavier DevKit (E3550)
NVIDIA DRIVE™ AGX Pegasus DevKit (E3550)
other

SDK Manager Version
other

Host Machine Version
native Ubuntu 18.04
other

For the procedure mentioned in drive-oss-src/Kernel, in order to upgrade the default “Linux tegra-ubuntu 4.14.193” to the new rebuild Kernel on XavierA/B of the DriveAGX target unit, our understanding is steps 7/8/9 can be used to replace both Kernel and modules, and then we need to use SDK manager to flash Xavier, is it right? Is it possible to copy the Kernel & modules files from Host to Target for this upgrade without using SDK manager?

For the default Kernel on XavierA/B, executing htop/top command to sort by priority, we notice the Core & IRQ tasks with priority RT & -51 (which are normal real-time threads included in most Kernels) on one Xavier as shown left, but cannot find these real-time tasks on the other Xavier as shown on the right. What is the difference for the Kernel on XavierA vs. XavierB, and what is the reason for this design?

For kernel compilation, please see if /lib/modules/4.14.102-rt53-tegra/build: No such file or directory helps.

For the default XavierA/B problem, I didn’t see it on my side. Below are the top outputs:
XavierA

XavierB

How about those IRQ tasks as shown PR -51 in the posted htop diagram, do you see them on both XavierA/B as well?

Btw, our current Kernel is: Linux tegra-ubuntu 4.14.193-rt92-tegra #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Mon Apr 19 02:11:35 PDT 2021 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux updated from DriveOS 526.

Yes, I saw PR -51 on both and below are the information.

nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:~$ uname -a
Linux tegra-ubuntu 4.14.193-rt92-tegra #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Mon Apr 19 02:11:35 PDT 2021 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:~$ cat /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/model
e3550_t194a

nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:~$ uname -a
Linux tegra-ubuntu 4.14.193-rt92-tegra #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Mon Apr 19 02:11:35 PDT 2021 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux
nvidia@tegra-ubuntu:~$ cat /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/model
e3550_t194b

Same Kernel and e3550_t194a/e3550_t194b, it seems sth else was triggered to disable the Core/IRQ tasks on one Xavier.

Regarding “For kernel compilation, please see if /lib/modules/4.14.102-rt53-tegra/build: No such file or directory helps.”, in order to upgrade Kernel, after steps 7/8/9 listed here, we do need to use SDK manager to flash XavierA/B again, is it right?

Yes.

SDK manager flash takes 30+ minutes for XavierA/B, is there another faster way to update Kernel and modules?

Please create another opic for it. Thanks.

One of the major goal for this ticket is to find a way to quickly flash XavierA/B, so appreciate it if we can continue this discussion here, thanks for your understanding.

Sure. in this case, could you help to update the topic title and make it more specific.

Please refer to Easier way to flash Xavier B? and see if it helps.

For Xavier Kernel, besides the default “drive-oss-src/kernel” comes inside the DriveOS, is there any github/gitlab repo available to public? If yes, could you please post a link?

btw, we tried to update the topic title, but cannot find any option to change it.

AFAIK, there is no code hosted on such public platforms.

Let me know what title you want to change it to. I can help with it.

How about “Kernel updates for XavierA/B”, thanks for the help.

updated it. Thanks.