L4T license redistribution issue

Hi there,

I’m currently baffled by L4T license. I’m asking here for explanation.

According to this Topic (Licensing issue: Selling product including Jetson TX2 bundled with L4T and self-developed software - Jetson TX2 - NVIDIA Developer Forums), both moderators from Nvidia are saying redistribution of L4T with Jetson product is okay. There is even a link with License not forbidding redistribution. Quote:

“”"
2.1.1 Rights.
Customer may install and use one copy of the SOFTWARE on a single computer, and except for making one back-up copy of the Software, may not otherwise copy the SOFTWARE. This LICENSE of SOFTWARE may not be shared or used concurrently on different computers.
“”"

However, with almost every release of Jetpack I came across on my machine and the official Nvidia website here (https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/linux-tegra), the license provided says otherwise in the very same section. And I quote here:

“”"
Customer may install and use multiple copies of the
SOFTWARE on a shared computer or concurrently on different computers,
and make multiple back-up copies of the SOFTWARE, solely for Customer’s
use within Customer’s Enterprise.
“”"

Now this is some very confusing stuff I’m dealing with here. Could we get some clarification on what we ought to do, or which one to observe? Just to think that following licenses coming from a thread in forum, no matter how reassuring, is not the legitimate way to sell our products. I know, ironically I’m asking again for confirmation on a forum. I just don’t know what else to do.

Hi xiaoxiangcao,

The Linux kernel, and patches to it, are provided under the GPLv2 license. So there is no concern from the NVIDIA side regarding redistribution of the kernel source code or patches specifically to the kernel provided by NVIDIA. And the SW agreement you can see this public doc Software License Agreement

Thanks

But what about the contradiction I mentioned in the OP? Section 2.1.1 from two sources contradicts each other. The link you provided is the same as the second one of mine from the OP. What about the first link, where two moderators seemed to be providing confirmation for allowing redistribution.

The link you provided forbids redistribution of l4t. But you say otherwise. Please clarify the issue. Thanks!

I think you should look at section 2.1.2 instead of 2.1.1.