L4T R32.1 Sample File System - skip System Configuration / headless install

Is it possible to pre-configure the file system for R32.1 so that a default user is defined and the “System Configuration” step is skipped? In other words, I’d like to see behavior similar to the R31.1 sample file system release.

The problem I’m encountering is that I will not have a display / keyboard / mouse hooked up to the device that I need to program. For R31.1, the serial port eventually drops me to a bash prompt. For R32.1, I do not see a bash prompt on the serial connection until after the System Configuration step is completed.

I believe my options are:

1. Revert back to the R31.1 file system.

2. Program R32.1 to a target, go through the System Configuration step, create an image from the result, then use that for future programming. The created image would be pretty large vs. the sparse one that gets programmed by flash.sh so this is far from optimal

3. Somehow modify the R32.1 Sample File System so it pre-configures a default user and behaves similarly to R31.1. My knowledge here is lacking and I’m not sure what changes I need to make to achieve this.

4. Wait for the next L4T release and see if it addresses this. I’m guessing this is too far out to be viable.

Any help will be appreciated – especially if option #3 is achievable.

Thanks!

This post describes achieving headless operation (option #2 above): [url=https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1048691/jetson-tx2/jetpack-4-2-mdash-l4t-r32-1-release-for-jetson-agx-xavier-jetson-tx2-and-jetson-nano/post/5326919/#5326919]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1048691/jetson-tx2/jetpack-4-2-mdash-l4t-r32-1-release-for-jetson-agx-xavier-jetson-tx2-and-jetson-nano/post/5326919/#5326919[/url]

Not quite what I want, but FYI in case anyone else stumbles across this post.

Hoping someone from NVIDIA can help me out.

Hi,

There is a script I shared in this thread:

This should bypass the configuration.

@WayneWWW,

This worked! Thanks for the script.