Laptop fails to start after the installation of CUDA toolkit

I have a ASUS A55V on which I installed ubuntu 12.04 in dual boot with windows 8.
The pc has an integrated Intel HD Graphics and a Nvidia geforce 610m.
I then installed bumblebee on ubuntu, giving exactly these command, just after the OS installation

sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current
sudo apt-add-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates 
sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
sudo apt-get update 
sudo apt-get install bumblebee-nvidia

I rebooted, and everything seems to work quite fine.
Then I downloaded the CUDA 5.0 toolkit for Ubuntu 11.10, and I DON’T install the graphic card drivers, but only the toolkit and the samples.
In the end I could compile and execute the sample without problems, and all right.
So, I reboot the pc, I select ubuntu in the grub, the ubuntu loading screen appears for a moment and then suddenly goes to a black screen, and nothing happens anymore (I waited more than five minutes, but I can never get to the ubuntu login screen).

Any ideas on the origin of the problem?

I’ve just bumped into the same (?) problem.

I have an Alienware M17x on which I installed CentOS 6.4 in dual boot with Windows 7.
GTX 680M

yum install http://pkgs.repoforge.org/rpmforge-release/rpmforge-release-0.5.3-1.el6.rf.x86_64.rpm
yum install cuda-repo-rhel6-5.5-0.x86_64.rpm
yum install cuda

Before reboot, nvcc just worked.
However, after reboot, the above-mentioned blackout happened.

CentOS loading screen appears for a moment and then suddenly goes to a black screen, and nothing happens anymore.

The yum message says:

*** Please reboot your computer and verify that the nvidia graphics driver is loaded. ***
*** If the driver fails to load, please use the NVIDIA graphics driver .run installer ***
*** to get into a stable state. ***

Can this be applicable to the phenomenon?

1 Like

Fixed.

First, edit /etc/inittab by booting with Live Media.
id:3:initdefault:

Reboot. (from Hard Drive)
Then you can probably login with CUI.

wget http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/319.32/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-319.32.run
chmod 777 ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-319.32.run
./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-319.32.run

init 5

You can login with GUI now!

Finally, edit /etc/inittab
id:5:initdefault:

Sorry, inferist, but I’m not sure on how you fixed the problem (if it also was the same as mine).
Are you saying that I have to reinstall the same nvidia driver after the Cuda installation,
or that the driver you were using before was the problem, so the problem is to find the right driver?

Although I’m not sure my case is exactly applicable to yours, I think the packages installed by apt-get/yum are not the same as the .run installs.
So what I did was, yes, to find the right driver. Installing the driver with .run after apt-get cuda installation might help you.