Latest Nvidia Drivers for Linux using 2 lanes @ 8.10 Gbps instead of 4 lanes @ 5.40 Gbps for 1080p@144Hz

I have a 1080p@144Hz Internal display on my laptop (Legion Y740) and an RTX 2060 GPU running Arch Linux with Nvidia proprietary drivers installed from Arch Repositories. It should be using HBR2 (DisplayPort 1.2). Until the Nvidia driver version 450.119.03 this was the case. But after that version it is using HBR3 (DisplayPort 1.4) which the display and connection iaren’t capable of, so the connection is being overloaded when ever there is increase in load (this signal is mostly being passed through CPU, as CPU load increases the tearing).

Fixes I have tried:
Using different Linux Distribution: Same issue persists, it works with the 450.119.03 driver correctly and fails with higher versions, even with varying kernel versions.
Forcing Full Composition Pipeline: Nothing changed
Using a different monitor and setting this resolution (1080p@144Hz): This issue doesn’t occur then, when the display is in DP 1.4 mode it uses 2 lanes @ 8.10 Gbps and when in DP 1.2 mode it uses 4 lanes @ 5.40 Gbps

All this is in discrete graphics mode when shifted to switchable graphics mode the display is run using Intel UHD Graphics and the issue isn’t present. It is also not present in Windows only happening with Linux Drivers. So I’m thinking a software bug in the driver, any help on this matter would be very much appreciated.

Screenshots of Nvidia X Server Settings

3 Likes

Same general issue here, both on a desktop 1080ti on Arch, and a mobile 3070. The difference is the monitors are 4K 60hz, and they’re only running at 30.

I am facing the same issues with using NVIDIA as dGPU on Linux, it is really unusable currently. This issue was reported in 2021, its 2023 are we going to ever see a fix for this or some workaround where we can force it via some environment variable to use HBR2 instead of HBR3 ? I have also additionally sent a mail with logs to the email address specified for Linux bugs.

I would really hate to have to sell my current Lenovo laptop and purchase a new Laptop because NVIDIA is not going to fix this issue, and might not even consider using NVIDIA again if they do not want to support fixing stuff on their Linux driver.

Bump any updates on this issue ?

I just found out this thread. I have the same issue, 11 moths later.
I’m guessing NVIDIA doesn’t give a crap about consumers. They just want AI now. If this is not fixed soon (next 6 month, for me), I’m selling the laptop and buying an AMD card and never give another cent to the green team. We have to hurt them where it hurts the most, their wallets