Legion 5 Pro - Backlight control not working from driver 510.54

Select discrete graphics mode in the BIOS, the brightness control of 495.46 is normal, after updating to 510.54, the screen brightness is always 100%, even if the value of /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_0/brightness has changed.
nvidia-bug-report-495.46.log.gz (465.4 KB)
nvidia-bug-report-510.54.log.gz (457.3 KB)

Device Info:

Host: 82JQ Lenovo Legion R9000P2021H 
Kernel: 5.16.12-arch1-1 
DE: GNOME 41.4 
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics (16) @ 3.200GH 
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU (GA106-B)

ls /sys/class/backlight/

nvidia_0

cat /boot/loader/entries/arch.conf

title		Arch Linux
linux		/vmlinuz-linux
initrd		/amd-ucode.img
initrd		/initramfs-linux.img
options		root="LABEL=system" rootflags=subvol=root rw
options		nvidia-drm.modeset=1
options		acpi_backlight=native
options		nvidia.NVreg_RegistryDwords=EnableBrightnessControl=1

2 Likes

Same here on Ubuntu w/ GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Mobile

Any updates on this issue. Been having this issue since driver 470.xx on a Clevo P775TM1-G.

515 still not fixed

1 Like

Yup, can confirm too! 415.xx is borked too!

Today, I met a user in a telegram group who has the same legion 5 pro as me, all using archlinux in discrete mode, his brightness can be adjusted, mine can’t. After comparison, our only difference is that he has a CSOT MNG007DA1-1 panel, and mine is CSOT MNG007DA1-8.

Mine is AU Optronics Corporation. Are you guys using the same Bios, kernel etc.?

Same BIOS: gkcn54ww

Both sides use archlinux and both have updated the packages to the latest version, so everything on the software is the same

Did you ever figure this out? I have a Legion 7 (2021) and I’m having the exact same problem where drivers 495 work but anything newer is broken…

Similar thing with the Legion 7 here - see the thread here: Brightness not working Ubuntu 20.04 Lenovo Legion 5 (15IMH05) - #30 by adrianer84

1 Like

Just now I tested the 525.53 driver, and finally I can adjust the brightness again. But there is a small bug: /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_0/max_brightness is 100, but when /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_0/brightness reaches 10, it is already the maximum brightness, 11 will become the lowest brightness, and 100 again to maximum brightness

1 Like

Finally a solution. Beta release of the drivers works like a charm. Just installed them. I was planning to post another thread for this problem but i see they fixed it. Also i can confirm the bug with the slider below 10%. Anyway, no more crappy performance while watching some video in Google Chrome and the brightness bug is fixed!