libcudart.so not recognized

i try to install cuda 2.0 on a debian x86_64 machine with 2.6.25 kernel, using the 177.13 nvidia driver.
I had no problems installing the toolkit and the SDK, but when i try to make the samples, i always get

/usr/local/cuda/lib/libcudart.so: file not recognized: File format not recognized
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

in all samples but matrixMulDrv, simpleTextureDrv and threadMigration (they also run perfectly).

PATH and LD_PATH_LIBRARY are set correctly (otherwise he wouldn’t find the lib).
The cuda packages should also be compatible to my 64 Bit environment (used the release for Ubuntu 7.10).
gcc version is 4.1.2.

nvcc -V says release 1.1, V0.2.1221.

Any idea to get the other samples to work? Are these libs for 32 bit machines?

thanks

You need to install the appropriate Debian 32bit compatibility packages that are part of the OS. This is a Debian requirement (Ubuntu too).

if you mean the ia32-libs and ia32-libs-gtk apt packages, they are installed here, but i get the same error.

Has no one any idea? Is there anyone with debian 64 Bit and a working cuda sdk?

okay, finally i got it to work, using the SUSE enterprise desktop 10 toolkit…wouldn’t have expected that :blink:

Same problem on Fedora Core 5. Works with RHEL4 Toolkit.

-E

try to install the package libc6-dev-i386

cheers

/torsten

I’ve struggled with the same problem on Gentoo Linux today. I think that this is a problem with the version of glibc one is using. Installing Cuda Toolkit is less pain than downgrading glibc so I’ve tried some of the Cuda Toolkit packages from the nvidia site. After a few tries, OpenSuse10.2 Toolkit package worked for me (glibc-2.7, 64bit). It seems to be working now, but it might have been easier if the Cuda Toolkit was open source.