License manager problem under heavy loads

We have a 10-pack license that seems to work fine most of the time. On occasion, I see:

pgcc-linux86-64: LICENSE MANAGER PROBLEM: Invalid returned data from license server
Feature: pgcc-linux86-64
Hostname: xxxxxxxxxx
License path: /app/pgi/license.dat
FLEXlm error: -12,122
For further information, refer to the FLEXlm End User Manual,
available at “www.macrovision.com”.

This happens with either the 32-bit version or the 64-bit version. I can rerun the compilation and things are fine again, until the above happens again. I know were aren’t checking out over 10 licenses, but it does seem to happen when multiple nodes are compiling.

lmgrd is running on a RHEL 3 machine, using the license tool versions provided with the 6.1 version of the compiler.

Hi sjlarrondo,

As you note, this issue only occurs when the FLEXlm license manager is under heavy use. Also, if you have your license.dat file located on a NFS mounted file directory, this can exacerbate the problem.

We have reported this issue to Macrovision, the makers of FLEXlm, but I’m not sure of the status. As of the 6.1-5 compilers, we added a work around in which the compilers try up to 4 times to check out a license. This seems to have helped quite a bit. However from your other post, I think you might be using 6.1-5? If so, perhaps we need to increase the number of trys.

• Mat

Hi Mat,

Thanks for the quick reply. I moved the license file off NFS as you recommended. Situation is still the same, however I see this on occasion:

pgcc-linux86: LICENSE MANAGER PROBLEM: Failed to checkout license
pgcc-linux86: LICENSE MANAGER PROBLEM: No socket connection to license server manager.
Feature: pgcc-linux86
License path: /app/pgi/license.dat
FLEXnet Licensing error:-7,10015
For further information, refer to the FLEXnet Licensing End User Guide,
available at “www.macrovision.com”.

I am using 6.1-5. How can I increase the retries?

Thanks,
Sergio

Hi Sergio,

Can you send a report to license@pgroup.com? This error is not familiar to me and I think you’ll be better served going directly to tech support. Please include your license.dat file as well as the version number of your license manager (lmgrd -version).

Thanks,
Mat