linker error building SDK examples

I have a GeForce 8800 GTS running under Debian linux. I just installed the drivers with CUDA support (177.67), the 2.0 toolkit and the sdk. Since Debian is not officially supported I used the Ubuntu packages.

I was able to install the drivers, toolkit, and SDK. However when I try to make the example projects in the SDK directory I get the following error:

/usr/local/cuda/lib/libcudart.so: undefined reference to `__stack_chk_fail@GLIBC_2.4’

I’ve not found any posts related to this problem and a couple of google searches turned up nothing as well. Have I built libcudart improperly? I thought maybe I wasn’t up to date on packages for the build environment but I seem to be up to date on glibc, libstdc++, etc…

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

That error suggests that the Ubuntu toolkit is not compatible with your system.

Ok, I originally downloaded the ubuntu 7.10 toolkit and SDK. I’ll try it out with the 7.04, but should I use cuda 1.1 or 2.0? Given that I have the 8800 GTS.

I got CUDA 2.0 working in Ubuntu 8.04.1 with an 8800GT, and wrote a guide for it here. It’s not Debian, and it doesn’t address your particular errors, but maybe it will help. I’m curious if the guide would work in Debian, please let me know how it goes. Good luck!

I tried your guide and it looks pretty similar to what I did originally, but I got the same errors when trying to build the SDK examples. Thanks anyway, the guide is quite easy to follow.