Linux, Laptop, GeForce 8600M GT, dual-head nvidia and two external monitors (or external dual monito

Hello!

I would like to ask technical people for help, I want to understand and fix the following problem in case it is possible. In case it is a wrong forum for my question, please let me know the proper place.

Goal:
Based on mobile dual-head nvidia VGA card (in my case GeForce 8600M GT, VideoBIOS: 60.84.69.00.29) I want to setup two external monitors (1920x1200 each) which are connected into my laptop (Sony VGN-AR770) by the following outputs:

• monitor 1, DFP-1 (Internal Single Link TMDS) by HDMI cable
  • monitor 2, CRT-0, VGA cable
    and since the card is only dual-head, disable the Laptop’s default flat panel on DFP-0 (Internal Dual Link LVDS).

As far as I understand there are no HW limitations and it looks like I’m configuring wrongly xorg.conf (not sure, see case 1 below) or it is a bug in one of the following SW components that I would like to fix:

• VideoBios (not sure, see case 1 below)
  • kernel (not sure, see case 1 below)
  • xorg (???)
  • nvidia drivers (???)

Here is my experiments that prove that my setup shall work:
Case (1): I can setup exactly what I want in Ubuntu 10.04 (OS for testing) by using the default drivers “fbdev” and gnome-display-properties, but the problem is that GPU’s fan is spinning too loud and I think it is not good. Also in this case no features like 3G and compiz…
Case (2): by using Ubuntu 8.04 (my current working OS) or Ubuntu 10.04 I can easily use the following setups DFP-0 & CRT-0 or DFP-0 & DFP-1 by using TwinView or Xinerama (nvdia drivers 173.14.12 or 195.36.24).
Case (3): If I’m trying disable the DFP-0 by adding option “IgnoreDisplayDevices” “DFP-0” or/and exactly specify “UseDisplayDevice” “DFP-1, CRT-0” in device section, there is no errors in Xlog, but the monitor 1 (DFP-1) and Laptop’s default flat panel (DFP-0) are blacked out and working only monitor 2 (CRT-0).

Please keep in mind that I’ve spend more then 3 month playing around xorg.conf and reading the nvidia linux drivers docs and I think that the problem is in src not in the config files, but maybe I’ve missed something…

Thank you.

Yura.

This is a GPU computing forum, and I doubt you will get help here. Try nvnews.net, I understand the linux display driver developers read and post there regularly.

This is a GPU computing forum, and I doubt you will get help here. Try nvnews.net, I understand the linux display driver developers read and post there regularly.

Understood, thank you. I’m moving my question to nvnews.net

I would like to ask Administrator(s) to remove my post from this forum.

P.S.
it looks like no body is using laptop and two external monitors on nvnews.net, so far no help…

Understood, thank you. I’m moving my question to nvnews.net

I would like to ask Administrator(s) to remove my post from this forum.

P.S.
it looks like no body is using laptop and two external monitors on nvnews.net, so far no help…