Linux + Nvidia driver + dock station + external monitors

updated dock firmware,
DisplayLink does not show in xrandr

Nothing changes

====
I am wondering
will it help if I use WD19TB station?
e.g. which protocol is wider USB Type-C or thunderbolt
will Type-C laptop still be able to connect?

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post. You will have to rename the file ending to something else since the forum software doesn’t accept .gz files (nifty!).

nvidia-bug-report.log.definetly_not_gz.txt (223.6 KB)
Here

That doesn’t look like you had the dock connected while creating the log. Furthermore, you didn’t have lsusb installed.

nvidia-bug-report.log.definetly_not_gz.txt (322.7 KB)
managed to get back to it. (exam and preparation)

All dock devices properly detected and added, monitors detected but not added, weird. Looks like some incompatibility of the HP notebook.
If you find the time, you could create an xorg.conf and set
Option “ModeDebug” “true”
in the device section to maybe get some more info though chances are low.

I realised that resolution is increasing when I install nvidia drivers:
no drivers

screen #0:
  dimensions:    1920x1080 pixels (341x190 millimeters)
  resolution:    96x96 dots per inch

with drivers (this one is correct according to real display dimentions/diagonal)

screen #0:
  dimensions:    1920x1080 pixels (341x190 millimeters)
  resolution:    143x144 dots per inch

Can this problem be related?

Now the logs:
xorg config

cat /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf
Section "OutputClass"
    Identifier "nvidia"
    MatchDriver "nvidia-drm"
    Driver "nvidia"
    Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration"
    Option "ModeDebug" "true"
    ModulePath "/usr/lib/nvidia/xorg"
    ModulePath "/usr/lib/xorg/modules"
EndSection

nvidia-monitors-disabled-in-settings.log.txt (342.7 KB) nvidia-monitors-enabled-in-settings.log.txt (393.1 KB)
And a log from without driver (I have no idea if it will help) with displays working
no-nvidia.log.txt (78.6 KB)

Any progress on this issue? I’m experiencing the same problem with the WD19 docking station with NVIDIA GPU Quadro M2000M. My logs below.
nvidia-bug-report.log (1.2 MB)

I noticed that I was running 435 rather than 440. I’ve upgraded to 440, and the problem persists. I’ve also included the logs from the Nouveau drivers (which does properly display to the external monitor through the WD19 dock).
nvidia-bug-report_nouveau.log.gz (90.9 KB)
nvidia-bug-report_nvidia-driver-440.log.gz (305.2 KB)

no, still no progress.

Can someone from Nvidia support team log and track this bug?

This bug is being tracked internally as bug 3132826.

@kelvin.mba, @yarebenko:
Please specify Option “ModeDebug” “true”, as suggested in #13, and generate new logs after reproducing the issue.

What is the output of ‘xrandr --auto’ when the monitors are connected? The current logs show that the monitor are connected and have available modes, but no modes have been set.

Nothing returns with the xrandr command.

illusion@illusion-ThinkPad-P50:~/tmp$ xrandr --auto
illusion@illusion-ThinkPad-P50:~/tmp$ inxi -G
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel HD Graphics P530 driver: i915 v: kernel 
       Device-2: NVIDIA GM107GLM [Quadro M2000M] driver: nvidia v: 450.66 
       Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.20.8 driver: intel,nouveau resolution: 1920x1080~60Hz 
       OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Intel HD Graphics P530 (SKL GT2) v: 4.6 Mesa 20.0.8

Logs with ModeDebug set to True attached.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (486.7 KB)
xorg.conf.new.gz (1.0 KB)

@kelvin.mba:
It looks like X is configured with Intel on screen 0 and nouveau on screen 1 (though, without nouveau.ko loaded). The dock’s monitors aren’t showing up in ‘DISPLAY=:0 xrandr’, likely because they are connected to the NVIDIA GPU, so ‘DISPLAY=:0 xrandr --auto’ does nothing.

Please restore the configuration to how it was in nvidia-bug-report_nvidia-driver-440.log.gz, with NVIDIA driving protocol screen 1, and Intel configured with PRIME. This can be done by deleting /etc/X11/xorg.conf and running ‘nvidia-xconfig --prime’, then re-adding Option “ModeDebug” “true”.

I noticed that the xorg.conf generated by ‘nvidia-xconfig --prime’ only has one monitor/screen, is this expected? I did as requested, and attached are the xorg.conf and the logs.
xorg.conf.gz (524 Bytes)
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (411.8 KB)

X is configured with one protocol screen (the NVIDIA GPU), and one ‘GPU screen’ (the iGPU). GPU screens are a special kind of screen that serves to load the driver for use with e.g. PRIME, but not as a fully blown X screen. This is expected.

The logs show that there is one monitor connected to the dock running at 1680x1050, and the iGPU’s internal panel running via PRIME at 1920x1080. Is that what you see, and is that what you expected?

@agoins, it does show both the external monitor and the internal monitor connected in the Display settings. But the external monitor is black and does not display the extended desktop (although the external monitor is “Active” in the Display settings).

Out of curiosity, does anything change if you remove the Monitor section entirely, along with the Monitor “Monitor0” line from the Screen section?

@ekurzinger, still the same behavior as #23 above when I removed the Monitor section and the Monitor0 line from the Screen section.

Hi Kelvin,
Can you please test without the Intel GPU screen (by disabling AutoAddGPU in the ServerFlags section of xorg.conf) and see if the same external monitor works without the dock and fails with it?