Linux on lenovo yoga 11 (not the 11s)

Hi,

I’m truly interested in the device Lenovo Yoga 11 (not the 11s). It is a powered by a NVIDIA/tegra3. The thing is that it’s sold with a windows 8 RT I don’t want to use. The device has a very nice concept and the low power consumption make it a great tool to travel (a 13 hours autonomy) …

The bigest problem is that the installation of Linux is blocked with a signed Secure Boot that lock the possibility to customized it with a different OS :(

My question is : do you know/have tools to flash the ROM/firmware and replace it with an another one that permit to install the OS I want ? I guess that the firm is into the tegra3. Is that right ?

The idea is to install a u-boot to load Linux …

best regards
joss

It is up to the Lenovo to provide the tools for booting different OSes. No other company can provide them.

And even if you could boot something else than the WinRT, you would need to port U-Boot and Linux kernel over to that particular device and that’s a huge task. It’s not enough that they support the bare SoC as that’s just a small part of an actual device.

Hello kulve,

tnanks for the answer ! I understand now that the UEFI (in replacement of the BIOS) is a subsystem provided by the hardware manufacturer that controls the booting process. So it handles the Secure Boot and permit (or not) the boot process of different OSes.

I used to think that the UEFI would bring to OSes a easier way to manage the hardware. Force to see, that it’s not the case :(

I thought that the Linux drivers provided by NVIDIA with a base Linux/ARM system and the corresponding u-boot image would be enough …

Those are provided by the NVIDIA links below:
https://developer.nvidia.com/linux-tegra for the Linux/ARM, bootloader, NVIDIA drivers, flash utilities, etc …
https://github.com/NVIDIA/tegra-uboot-flasher-scripts for u-boot flasher scripts

joss

NVIDIA provides the kernels only for NVIDIA’s own Tegra products (e.g. Shield and the reference platforms). Different products have e.g. different memory, flash, display, buttons, audio, wifi, bluetooth, GPS, battery, etc. and they all need to be supported by the kernel explicitly. And even if the kernel has a driver for a particular peripheral, the kernel still needs a product specific configuration about how exactly the peripheral is connected to the SoC in that product on the hardware level.

And U-Boot needs the same support, although not for all peripherals (like GPS and audio).

The Linux user space NVIDIA drivers (OpenGL ES etc.) are less hardware dependant and usually can work as-is on similar Tegra based products.