Linux T4L 19.2 "after the flash"

Greetings, I am new to Tegra and SoC computing and development. Familiar with Slackware since 1996, added other distributions as time passed.

The Jetson TK1 board seemed to be just what I wanted for a project: trying to prototype a relatively inexpensive but very full-featured OpenSource Flight Simulation “DIY project” that would also have a very wide range of other uses when not simulating flight.

TK1 arrived May 22. I made a dev container out of a tupperware and followed the Quick Start Guide. I downloaded and flashed the “sample file system” and the Tegra Drivers tarfiles and discovered that an early model Sony Bravia was not detected properly but I was able to get in via ‘ssh’ to establish that the unit was running. Another, more recent Bravia was detected enough to get X running but there’s a problem with that. The 32-inch KDL-32EX500 is detected as “72-inch Sony” and the result is that there’s a bit of the edge of the desktop not shown under the 1080p setting. Other, smaller, resolutions work fine.

The hardware clock ships with a start date of Feb 1. sudo ntpdate pool.ntp.org fixes that. sudo hwclock -w writes system time to hardware clock and persists after multiple soft reboots (have not tested persistence across a 24-hour power-down).

The default user “ubuntu” needs ownership/permissions changed on ~/.mozilla before firefox will work, and of course the hardware clock needs to be set correctly before it can accept SSL certificates.

It has been necessary to use apt-get to get a lot of utilities such as lynx and the BOOST libraries I needed had to be downloaded and built from source. Compilation time, under an hour, but first one must install g++. Assorted other missing things included packages like mlocate, and dselect.

I downloaded the CUDA debs from the TK1 support page and tried to install them with sudo dpkg --install FOO.deb and ran into dependency problems. apt-get -f install fixed the dependency problems.

Attempting to build pre-requisites for the flight simulator of my choice ran into the following:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-GL=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/mesa (and also trying ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-GL=/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/tegra )

result in messages such as (usual and expected stuff snipped):

checking build system type… armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf
checking host system type… armv7l-unknown-linux-gnueabihf
checking for X… no
checking for pthread_create in -lpthread… yes
checking for glNewList in -lGL… no
checking for glNewList in -lMesaGL… no
configure: error: could not find working GL library

I suspect I just need to know how to properly point configure to the right places, although as near as I can tell, I am already doing that.

Q: Has anyone got any notes they want to share here about anything they expected to find included, but had to track down themselves? It might make a nice little list of things to send to apt-get all at once to save some time. Regards,

Some packages:

• sysstat
  • lm-sensors
  • emacs

Note for anyone trying to build OpenSceneGraph. The ‘plib’ prerequisite can be installed via apt-get with all repositories enabled, with sudo apt-get install libplib-dev. However you will get the following messages about installing prerequisites:

freeglut3-dev libdrm-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libice-dev
libplib1 libsm-dev libx11-xcb-dev libxcb-dri2-0-dev libxcb-dri3-dev
libxcb-glx0-dev libxcb-present-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-render0-dev
libxcb-shape0-dev libxcb-sync-dev libxcb-xfixes0-dev libxdamage-dev
libxshmfence-dev libxt-dev libxxf86vm-dev mesa-common-dev
x11proto-damage-dev x11proto-dri2-dev x11proto-gl-dev
x11proto-xf86vidmode-dev

This probably broke all or most functionality specific to the proprietary NVIDIA drivers on the TK1. However, attempting once again to compile ‘plib’ from the lastest source, no error messages were encountered. Hopefully the NVIDIA folks will take note and add corrections to the next T4L update.

Continuing on to try to build the rest of my project. Regards,