Llvmpipe (LLVM 12.0.0, 256 bits) instead of Nvidia RTX 4060 on ubuntu 20.04

Hello, I’m trying to find why my Nvidia 4060 GPU not recognized by system, and why night mode not taking effect.

I downloaded and installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-550.54.14.run with CUDA 12.4 from the website. And command nvidia-smi tells me that there’s nothing wrong. But I can’t figure out why llvmpipe is working there!

I’ve tried several methods but nothing helps:

• disable security boot
  • disable nouveau
  • editing /etc/default/grub

And finally, I set discrete mode in BIOS, and then, I can use night mode but still stuck with llvmpipe.

Lastly, here is my bug report:
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (483.5 KB)

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/nvidia-rtx-4060-not-working-with-ubuntu-20-04-lts/288738/4?u=generix

I’ve read the blog there and installed a new kernel from GitHub - zabbly/linux: Linux kernel builds.
But I’m still stuck with llvmpipe problem. So I have to upgrade to ubunut22.04 now? Is there any other solution for me, because I came up with this problem when I was trying to use opengl on my system. I found glxinfo showed OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 21.2.6 which was quite strange for a relative new graphic card.
I think solve this with the least effort should be the best.

The primary gpu is the 13th gen intel igpu. The driver for it is only included in newer kernels and new firmware is also needed. Without a working i915 driver, graphics will fall back to software rendering.