MAC CUDA driver fully compatible with macOS High Sierra 10.13 (error

Haiko & John: Just check that you are actually using the NVidia driver. Just because its installed, doesn’t mean its in use! The system has a habit of defaulting back to the generic mac driver, which will give the above error.

If you don’t have an NVidia icon in the top bar (RH side), try “System Preferences”, at the bottom.

After over a year of stable operation, my machine is now refusing to boot with the web-driver. I have installed the right version for my macos version (17G65), but when I select it, the machine hangs during the boot. “Cmd+Alt+P+R” resets it to the default mac driver, where it boots, but without CUDA.

Since I only use it for video editing, and the edit suite requires CUDA, this means my mac is now a paper weight.

Someone needs to bang Apple’s and NVidia’s heads together, but I’m not holding my breath. Next stop may be to install boot-camp and Windows (shudder) just to be able to edit again…

Pete

Hello all,

Recently tried to update our 14,2 Imac (780m GTX) to the Security Update 2019-004 for 10.13.6 this seems to disable the working Nvidia web driver I have already installed (ref 387.10.10.10.40.128).

This then forces us to install the latest web driver (ref 40.130) which completely crashes the Imac boot sequence; having now tried this installation process three times with no success.

Has anyone else encountered this issue?

As a result, I had to remove the latest 2019-004 security update to keep the Cuda integration functional and working. If you have a solution, please feel free to get in touch. Thanks.

Yes, I think that’s the problem I had. I fixed my machine by going back a couple of weeks with Time Machine.

My son had been visiting for a week-end before shooting off to Germany, and as a Mac enthusiast, he often uses my machine to access his business while visiting. I’ll bet he tried to install that update!

Every time I’ve tried to install it, the installation has failed, and its automatically reverted to pre-install configuration, but I notice that this is a newer version. Perhaps, as you say, the install worked - or at least got further than previously - and that borked CUDA!

Now I’ve use Time Machine to go back a couple of weeks, its all working fine again!

Pete

Hey Pete,

Thank you for getting back to me. This only started to happen to me two days ago when the 2019-004 security update was released, never had an issue before except the learning curve needed to get Cuda working effectively on the iMac in the first place. Thank god for this forum lol.

Now I’m stuck what to do, not much chatter online about this as an issue yet, but would like to enhance my system to not worry about the security issues resolved in the security update but the Nvidia web driver (ref: 40.130) is just not functional. I would even be happy to hear from anyone who has it functioning on their systems, maybe its something I’m doing wrong?

I went as far back as the day before the security update was installed in the time machine and this was enough to have full functionality returned to operation.

If anyone can direct me to inform Nvidia of this issue, I would be grateful.

Thanks.

I suspect its more an Apple issue than an NVidia one. Indeed, I am beginning to wonder if Apple are deliberately sabotaging machines with NVidia cards in them. There is no proper NVidia support in 10.14 at all! And security updates that crash graphics drivers? Come on!

My mac was bought for me by my son as a present for helping him out a while back, but frankly its put me right off both Apple hardware and software. It seems to be a triumph of style over content. The monitor is superb, but the computer itself is decidedly sub-standard, and the operating system even worse than Windows!

Luckily my main computer runs Linux, so I’m moderately at home poking around Unix systems, but I was always told that the whole point of MacOS was that you didn’t need to poke around to get it working properly. That simply isn’t true! And it seems to be getting worse.

My biggest problem is how to tell my son that this expensive present he bought me is actually a pile of ****!

Pete

I was busted by Apple’s update 10.13.6 0004, also :(

I formated my macbookpro 2013 - GT750M - with OSX 10.13.6 02 installer.

But surprise, the number is 17G66, I cannot find anything on that version. I installed the webdrivers through GITHUB @Benjamin-Dobbel and the webdriver 10.10.40.130 was installed. I then installed the latest CUDA 418.163
underneath it says : GPU Driver version 355.11.10.10.40.102 update required while the driver manager says I have the latest 355.11.10.10.40.130 ?!?

What would be the last best High sierra update where CUDA works well and what webdriver version ?

There currently isn’t a web driver that support OSX build 17G66 so you’re just out of luck. I’m afraid that no web driver for any build working in tandem with any version of CUDA can support any build of OSX - I’ve tried them all for my MacPro 5,1 with a GTX680 and a GTX780 and it is just not compatible.

I hope NVidia is working hard at it, but considering Apple’s lack of want to play nice with NVidia I will soon conclude that support for this specific combination of cards, OSX build, web driver vesion and CUDA version is just not going to happen.

Thanks for your answer, it gets clearer on the difficulties mac user communities are going through. Thanks to theses forums in all cases ;) I was pulling my hair off today to find a solution.

But today hurray !
I got suddenly lucky and succeeded through pure luck !! So here’s how I did it On my MacbookPro 2013 - GT750M :

0/ Download on an external drive :

• SecUpd2019-002HighSierra.dmg update taken from Apple’s download page (https://support.apple.com/downloads/2019-002HighSierra). this is the 2019-march-29 High Sierra update
  • Installer MacOS_High_Sierra 10.13.6 02
  • CUDA driver : cudadriver_418.163_macos.dmg
  • WebDriver-387.10.10.10.40.127

1/ Format with Installer MacOS_High_Sierra 10.13.6 02 (use a bootkey -I used DiskCreator) (if you have problems finding this High Sierra installer, write to me)

CAREFULL, you will have to go QUICK on this one : you have about 20 seconds after login

• When you arrive on the High Sierra desktop window the first time, immediatly deactivate wifi and/or connexion to internet -> immediatly go to the “preference system > App Store” and UNCHECK all updates !
    (Otherwise, it will connect to Apple servers, and you’ll get the 0004 update notification !)

2/ Copy on the desk the ‘SecUpd2019-002HighSierra.dmg’ (it would not install from another drive in my case), and then launch the update.

3/ After reboot, Install FIRST the CUDA driver - I know, it’s weird to do it that way)

4/ Reconnect wifi or internet connexion and go to the github website :

https://github.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update

5/ Open terminal and copy and paste this line :

bash <(curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Benjamin-Dobell/nvidia-update/master/nvidia-update.sh) 387.10.10.10.40.127

5/ Reboot

6/ You should have this
http://www.demontais.com/image/Webdriver127.png

Hope this helps a few…

@Neilz5912 just wanted you to know I followed you steps to a tee, no deviations. HUGE HUGE THANKS. I just wanted to confirm what you said so others can give it a try. 3 times will be a trend :) which is always a good sign … 2 up and working.

My system:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014)
Model: MacBookPro11,3
CPU: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7
RMA: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

NOTE: External Monitor: Dell P2715Q
connected (starting from monitor port) DisplayPort into MacBookPro as Mini DisplayPort

GPU Specifically:

NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Dynamic, Max): 2048 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fe9
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3776
Automatic Graphics Switching: Supported
gMux Version: 4.0.8 [3.2.8]
Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily1 v3

Displays:

Color LCD:

Display Type: Built-In Retina LCD
Resolution: 2880 x 1800 Retina
Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

DELL P2715Q:

Resolution: 3840 x 2160 (2160p 4K UHD - Ultra High Definition)
UI Looks like: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Framebuffer Depth: 24-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Adapter Type: DisplayPort
Automatically Adjust Brightness: No

Hi,
I see you have the same MBP configuration. Glad that it helped you. :) :)

The cuda drivers are also really functionnal.

I made a test with Blackmagic’s rawtest… with and without. there is a little difference in favor of the Cuda (4 or 5 more green checked passed).

Also I can notice the difference in Davinci with the cuda GPU activated…

so Nvidia’s webdrivers are still efficient even for these 5 year old laptops.
(honestly 5 years isn’t old for a laptop. Apple could give a little care for us, long term customers)

@Neilz5912

I’m still running OS X 10.12.6 and thinking about going forward with the update to 10.13
What is the best way to do this? Will I have to go with the clean install method or is there a way to just do the upgrade (ex: via app store). I have the same hardware configuration (mid 2014 macbook pro with nvidia 750M).

Thanks for suggestions for the best way to move forward, as I’ve been holding back on this update for a while.

It has to be High Sierra. There’s no cuda on Mojave

unfortunatly, Apple made a booboo on the official link for High Sierra Upgrade… it is damaged and won’t install (files are missing in the installer).
AND You need to find a build that hasn’t the very last security update (0004)

So you’re likely to find a build first… update from appstore won’t work unless you’re lucky and get the 6.15 Gb installer of High Sierra.

The rest will work if you follow the process I have put…

If anyone has a combo update build of High Sierra that includes security update 003 but not 004 it would be nice to put a dwnld link… :)

PS : go for a clean install… ;)

I updated my driver and it worked

Me too I updated from the Nvidia interface,it works…

but Has someone tried updating OSX High Sierra superior to update sueriot to 0002 with a Cuda Driver superior to GPU Driver Version: 387.10.10.10.40.127 ?

Best,

Neil

Has anyone tried a High Sierra update 0003 with GPU Driver superior to 387.10.10.40.127 ?

Any feedback or news on 0003 ??

Ok, good news.

I found the update 0003 here : https://support.apple.com/downloads/macos

choose : SecUpd2019-003HighSierra

I tried, and the update worked over the 10.13.6.0002 OSX version I showed. When it retsarts, don’t panic, it will say that it’s on the apple driver, but then do the nvidia update… (it will update to 387.10.10.10.40.128 )

It will restart, and there you go : Nvidia drivers on the upmost last OSX update (before the 0004 osx update that kills the Nvidia driver…)

Enjoy :)

^^ I have a Mac Pro 2009 flashed to 2010 (1080Ti) with High Sierra 10.13.16 build 17G11016. I mistakenly updated to the latest version build of 17G11016. With this build version there is no NVidia driver for it. There is no CUDA acceleration either. My primary use for this is Adobe Premiere Pro. Anyone has any idea for me to downgrade the build version back to a version that is supported by Nvidia and has CUDA acceleration? I don’t have time machine turned on and none of the other Nvidia drivers will install as it’s not compatible with the latest version build. I was able to install Nvidia driver build version 387.10.10.15.15.108 just so my 1080Ti is detected but again, this driver has no CUDA acceleration.

I have 17G7024 build in case you need…
question : when you upgraded to 17G11016, was it a fresh install or did you install over the previous one ? Because you could go back with a time machine backup…

Hey team,

Just an update.

Have successfully updated to 2019-006 with the 387.10.10.10.40.132 web driver installed.

Nvidia driver update will install the Cuda driver to the latest version 418.163 (this is the latest version available at the time of posting).

I noticed today another update 2020-01 (17G11023) is now available but no web driver or Cuda has been posted for this update, so hold off on updating.